• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Taking the 4Runner through puddles and ponds

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Hello everyone! Found you guys via the Google Hangouts video that was posted on YouTube.

Excuse the n00b, please. After years of wanting to purchase a 4Runner, I finally had one delivered yesterday. Loving it! Wish I had bought one sooner ;)

My question has to do with driving through large puddles and rainfall ponding. I still currently live in the Florida Keys, where we have torrential downpours in the middle of the day. The low-lying streets mean there's a lot of street ponding, which for the majority of drivers, requires circling around several blocks to try to get around.

Now that I have a 4Runner, my question is, how deep of a puddle/pond could I possibly take the car through? In particular, I'm thinking of a one-block stretch of road that goes under about a foot of water at the deepest point, directly in front of my office. It's all fresh rain water, when it does pond. What do the experts think?

Thanks for the input.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I don't have the numbers in front of me right now but it's something like fjording a stream, that's the classical term sty least. We'll have to look it up.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
It's odd, but I had that information ... i'll find it again.

With a little bit of modification, you could do this ...

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Not exactly what you're looking for, but this is from the 2014 4Runner Press Kit - Product Information page.

Ground Clearance on 4x2 is 9.0 inches, and 4x4 is 9.6 inches. That's to totally clear anything, including water.

ehh, can't find it right now, i'll look again tomorrow.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Thank you so much! It's almost time for us to pack up the 4Runner and make the drive to our new home in Colorado. No more tropical downpours for us! I'll be asking you about mountain driving soon enough. HA ;)

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Very nice, what part? I haven't been to Colorado in about 15 years, with the exception of the airport a couple of times.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
I love it out there. We'll be about 20 miles north of Denver.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's pretty up there. Often times people compare DFW to Denver for a lot of reasons, just it's colder in the winter and much closer to good skiing. :) I grew up in the Northwest so I do miss the summers and going to the mountains and hiking, plus avoiding the 100F days that can go on and on for weeks.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Thank you so much! It's almost time for us to pack up the 4Runner and make the drive to our new home in Colorado. No more tropical downpours for us! I'll be asking you about mountain driving soon enough. HA ;)
It sure is beautiful up in that part of the country. straight north of denver, like up near loveland, or northwest near boulder?

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Thank you, Jenny! Glad to have found this great group here :)

MuddyTacoma - North-east-ish ;) Looking forward to lots of exploring when we get there.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
As far as driving through water you have to be aware of how low your differential vents are,,,they will suck up water, not good for the gears. You really should consider REAL snow tires for your truck. They are significantly better than all seasons. Enjoy Colorado,,seems to be an even more popular tourist destination lately.

Brad

100 Posts
It's odd, but I had that information ... i'll find it again.

With a little bit of modification, you could do this ...

That's ridiculous. Now, how much would it cost to modify it so it's able to do this?

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
We'll be moving next month, making a slow, road trip vacation out of it. The kiddo wants to see The Mouse before we leave ;)

My screen name has to do with the Paleo/Primal/caveman diet. Been doing that for four years! Changed my life. It's essentially staying away from processed foods, and going back to real clean eating (meat, seafood, veg, fruit, nuts, seeds, healthy fats). This former carbaholic gave up bread and pasta, and I haven't regretted it ;) I'm really excited about all the farmers markets and grass-fed cattle ranches out in Colorado. Eating fresh and natural is the essence of the Paleo diet.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
We'll be moving next month, making a slow, road trip vacation out of it. The kiddo wants to see The Mouse before we leave ;)

My screen name has to do with the Paleo/Primal/caveman diet. Been doing that for four years! Changed my life. It's essentially staying away from processed foods, and going back to real clean eating (meat, seafood, veg, fruit, nuts, seeds, healthy fats). This former carbaholic gave up bread and pasta, and I haven't regretted it ;) I'm really excited about all the farmers markets and grass-fed cattle ranches out in Colorado. Eating fresh and natural is the essence of the Paleo diet.
My last two primary care physicians have both said the same thing, that the "whole foods' diet kept in moderation has been proven to be the overall healthiest diet for most people, in fact it can help (at least in some way) control diabetes, insomina, lethargy & energy levels, adhd, anxiety, depression, etc. They're all tied together.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
My last two primary care physicians have both said the same thing, that the "whole foods' diet kept in moderation has been proven to be the overall healthiest diet for most people, in fact it can help (at least in some way) control diabetes, insomina, lethargy & energy levels, adhd, anxiety, depression, etc. They're all tied together.
Absolutely! My own health has completely turned around. Ain't no way I'm going back to my old ways of eating ;)

I can recommend a couple really good books on the subject:

Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD.

The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
haha, you said book. :)

Nah, just kidding. Let me see if there's an audio book or a website on it that I can find somewhere. If not, I should make one.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
It's been unusually dry. No puddles for my new truck to slosh through! LOL!

Mind you, this is the opposite side of town, but this the kind of ponding that can happen on a tropical island (after just one short rain storm):

Related Content You Might Like: