• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tacoma for occasional towing?

ironandsteel

I need a general purpose truck for my farm use which includes occasionally towing a 16' trailer full of round bales. Don't know the weight, but pretty heavy- probably 2-3 tons. I've been thinking I should go for a Tundra, but I wonder if a Tacoma would do it?
Also- I prefer a stick shift, but will an automatic in these trucks last longer?
My budget is up to about $7-8k, hopefully less.

I used to own a nice '96 tacoma with the 22R engine. Alas, my son wrecked it. I wonder if I should look for another old Tacoma like this.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Can the Tacoma pull that kind of weight on occasion? Short answer is Yes. But I would not advise. Have to remember once you get that weight rolling you have to stop it. The braking power is enough for the truck but not a 2 - 3 ton trailer attached. Plus you have to look at the transmission -- even short trips on occasion is going to give the transmission a tough workout. The Tundra could do it better but it is still over its towing capacity. Let us know what you decide.

ironandsteel

The trailer does have brakes, of course, so it doesn't rely on the truck brakes.

I'm also considering the ubiquitous F150, but I'd feel more comfortable with a Toyota.

Related Content You Might Like: