• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tacoma differential noise

Smitty

Hi,

This summer I bought a 2010 Tacoma regular cab 4 speed automatic. It has a wine coming out of the differential between 50 and 60 mph. I took it back to the Toyota dealer that I bought it from and they replaced the differential carrier (differential gear unit). It still has the noise. They told me that this is just typical of this truck. After more complaining they sent their technician from the KC, Mo office to listen to it. After driving and listening to it, he told me the same thing. His only suggestion was for me to buy a bed mat to help hide the noise.
Has anyone else dealt with this or have any ideas of how to deal with this noise? I hate it.

Thanks, Smitty

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Usually a wine is a bearing issue. I am not familiar with a common differential issue with these trucks. My son has a base model 2010 and his isn't making any noises. My wife has a 2004 4runner and hers isn't making an noise. My 97 Silverado did have a wine that I just couldn't seem to get rid of, until I rebuilt the differential in February. I put an Eaton trutrack all new bearings, sesls, gasket, new 373 gear set, ect. It's dead quite now. IMO it was the pinion bearings doing it. It can be hard to pinpoint just where the noise is coming from. Maybe try a good shop that does 4x4 stuff, ( including differential work),or a good transmission shop that also does differential work. Somewhere that specialize in differential repairs and rebuilds. Those are the places that have to tools and experience to do a proper repair. Your local Toyota dealer will be more of an over all repair shop.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Yes. On a split driveshaft. The center bearing on a split shaft can also go out, but all of that will be more in the center of the truck, not the rear end. If the noise is coming from the rear end it self, then that's where the problem is. Have someone else drive your truck while you ride in the bed so you can ID just where the noise is coming from.

Related Content You Might Like: