• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Suspension issues or transmission issues?

dgrindy

I've been noticing this over the past couple months, and it has progressively gotten worse....I have a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 Automatic, and the shifter knob knocks hard when stopping/starting (jolts about a half inch or so). When accelerating/shifting, the transmission is smooth, does not miss, which leads me to believe it is in the front suspension. This is only when starting and stopping. It is hard to tell, but the it almost feels like their is a rocking type of movement in the front suspension, which could explain why it happens when starting and stopping. Has anyone else had this issue/know what this could be?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
A friend had a very similiar problem on his 2000 Tacoma 4x4 xcab with v6 and auto trans, the repair for his truck was to replace motor mounts and transmission mounts.
All the rubber had degraded from hard use.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hey @dgrindy. How hard is this knock in the shifter, is is a slight vibration or a quick back and forth jerking action?

dgrindy

It is definitely more of a quick back and forth jerking motion.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone else I spoke to mentioned the motor mounts as a possible source of the problem. Just looking down at them it is hard to tell/see anything. What would be the best way to determine if they need to be replaced? I was thinking if I used a floor jack to press up slightly on the transmission that may show any movement.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
With someone in the truck and their foot firmly on the brake and the parking brake engaged have them place the truck in gear and then rev the engine up, almost like their attempting to power brake the truck.
While you stand at the side of the front end of the truck with the hood openwatching to see how high the engine rises, it should barely rise up if the mounts are good.
Another way to tell is wrap a chain securely around the frame and motor mount and secure it then see if the problem goes away when you drive.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah [MENTION=4120]dgrindy[/MENTION], what's up with this problem.

Related Content You Might Like: