• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Steering Wheel Height Adjustment for 86' pickup

mindset0

I just got a 86' 22r pickup and I have never driven this type of truck before. I was trying to adjust height of the steering wheel and could not find any handle or lever on the column. On the lower right of the column there is a small hole. I think the the adjustment lever broke off but I need to more the wheel to be able to shift. Where is the adjustment lever located and if it broke, and idea's on how to adjust it for now.

Thanks for any help you guys might have.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Broke off? Maybe it got unscrewed? Can you take a picture of the "hole" in the steering wheel column and let us have a look?

mindset0

Ok so I don't have the truck here now. I will have to drive it from Bullhead City to Las Vegas. So I don't have pics yet.

But by looking at this diagram:
http://toyotapartsabq.com/parts/198...icleid=83375&diagram=F809228&diagramCallOut=9

Part number 6 it not on the truck the I have. It just has the the wipers/lights and turn signal. Part number 6 looks like the lever for the tilt. I think the truck I have is a not titling steering column.

Now from what I know the truck is a 86 22r with a Webber Carb, 2wd, 2.4l, 4-speed manual transmission . To me it looked like a base model.

So now my is there any way for me to adjust the steering wheel height, or can a replacement be put in. (I not sure if the if they made one for 2wd?)

Please bear with me, some what new to DIY repairs and have yet to work on Toyota trucks. I have only messed with a 2001 Ranger.
Part of the reason I getting the truck one is price (500 from a family member), and also it looked like a good truck to learn how to due repairs and a rebuild on a tight budget. This truck is still a daily driver right now and still will be.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
You might want to contact our parts vendors on this site and ask them to look up your vin to see what type of steering column came with your truck as there are options.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If it came carburated more than likely it wont have the tilt column.
Carburated was a bare bones truck that came with nothing, bench seat, manual windows and locks, plastic floor covering, 4spd manual, and most times a block off plate where the radio goes.
For tilt steering youd need to source a column with that option and swap it in.
The webber carb isnt factory either, they came wwith an Aisin 2bbl carb.

Related Content You Might Like: