• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

speedo cables making noise - how to fix?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Hello. I'm new to the forum and a search of speedocables revealed nothing,, What are you guys doing to repair speedo cables. I have a 91 Toyota 4x4 extended cab, my son has a 89 Toyota 4x4 extended cab and both of our speedo cables are making noise. I had a 95 4runner a years back and when the speedo cable started to make noise and broke I just drove the next 5 years without a speedo. TIA

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Let me move this to the proper category so you can get more help and someone should be able to help you.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
When you say "makes noise" what are you referring to? There are a few different types of noises that bad speedometer cables can make.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The grinding noise they make just before they break,,,or am I the only one familiar with the noise of dying speedo cable. Usually they will make some noise in colder weather until the cab warms up.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Remove the speedo cable from the back of the cluster and drop in a little graphite, if the cables already breaking it more than likely wont help, but if it's just scrubbing from lack of lubrication this will help.

Stuart

I had the same problem. I switched it out with another used speedo cable and nothing changed. Then I tried switching out the cluster. That didn't help either. My car instructor suggested me to get a new speedo cable, or to put graphite behind the cluster. I sprayed graphite in the cluster and for a while it was silent. However, the noise came back soon. Finally I got rid off the noise by getting a brand new speedo cable.

Loves2Ride

100 Posts
Stuart-- how long did the graphite keep it silent, weeks, months? how much was the brand new speedo cable by the way?

Related Content You Might Like: