• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Sometimes I Forget... Dealership Costs

Jimbos toy

Since I don't use dealerships very often, I tend to forget how outrageous their prices are.
I took my Sequoia to the local Toyota dealership for the Takata air bag recall. A job that should have been done in NC before I bought the truck.
But anyway, they gave the Sequoia a "courtesy inspection." Just to keep score, it was inspected in NC in May when we bought it. It was inspected again when we moved back to NH. So yesterday at the dealership makes inspection #3 for 2017.
As you can imagine, there was not much left to find wrong.
But they did manage to find a license plate bulb out.
After they did the airbag fix, they mentioned I had a bulb out.
I did not mean to laugh out loud, but when they told me they would be happy to replace the bulb for $26 I did laugh... loudly.
$26 for parts and labor to replace a #168 bulb. I happen to have a couple of those bulbs in my tool box. It took me longer to dig the bulb and a screwdriver out of my toolbox then it did to replace it.
And I didn't charge myself anything!
Anyone else have any outrageous dealership stories?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I know they have to make money to stay in business, but that is pretty rough for just a license plate bulb.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Our local dealer here is the same way, they always give a list of things that "need " to be done. I never let them do any of those. It is very rear that I take mine in for service anyway, as I was an auto mechanic years ago. They said the truck was dew for a coolant flush and fill 2 or 3 visits ago, but thing is, I had just replaced the water pump, and done a flush and fill 2 months before. On the very rear occasion that they find something I miss, then I take it home , and fix the issue.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I know they have to make money to stay in business, but that is pretty rough for just a license plate bulb.
I charge my employer 1 hour to change a bulb, wiper or any small item. They have the option of bringing truck to shop @$90 per hour. Hard to find "volunteers" to work for nothing although trucking companies try very hard to squeeze freebies out of employees.
I like a list if dealer finds anything I missed. My wife's car goes to dealer once a year for oil change and a kick at the can for dealer to find work. I've never brought my truck to dealer

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I let them replace a bulb when i had a state inspection a year or two ago for $8 and i thought that was rough. Wow. Only did that because i would have failed inspection and had to come back to repeat.

Last edited:

Jimbos toy

I let them replace a bulb when i had a state inspection a year or two ago for $8 and i thought that was rough. Wow. Only did that because i would have failed inspection and had to come back to repeat.
I guess I should have asked what their labor rate was. I have absolutely no problem with a company making money. But where is the line between profit and greed. While I was waiting, the service writers told everyone in waiting room all about the things that were wrong with their vehicles. I hate the hard sell crap. I like a mechanic who is willing to tell you what has to be done now and what can wait. Thats the right way to build repeat customers.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
When I was a kid in high school, and just after that, I was a mechanic at a dealer. I would go to school 1/2 a day and got to work at the dealer after lunch. Here is the thing. The dealer sees a lot of customers in a day. To them you are a customer. They have a labor rate, (some where around $100 per hour) and there is a min charge( 1/2 hour most of the time) and the owner won't let them charge any less than that. Even where I work now ( in a machine shop as a welder) we have a labor rate of 90 per hour, and a min of 1/2 hour. So for us to do anything, it cost $45. At the dealer, everything is logged into the date base, and every transaction is in that data base. Each job has a charge, and each job has how long it should take. If the mechanic can beat this time, he can make more money, both for himself, and the dealer. So if the job is in the data base at 1/2 hour, and the mechanic can do that job in 15 mins, then he can double his commission. You will still be charged the 30 mins anyway. The other side of this, is that if a job is listed at 3 hours, and it takes 4 then you are charged for 3, if the dealer is worth a darn anyway.

Jimbos toy

When I was a kid in high school, and just after that, I was a mechanic at a dealer. I would go to school 1/2 a day and got to work at the dealer after lunch. Here is the thing. The dealer sees a lot of customers in a day. To them you are a customer. They have a labor rate, (some where around $100 per hour) and there is a min charge( 1/2 hour most of the time) and the owner won't let them charge any less than that. Even where I work now ( in a machine shop as a welder) we have a labor rate of 90 per hour, and a min of 1/2 hour. So for us to do anything, it cost $45. At the dealer, everything is logged into the date base, and every transaction is in that data base. Each job has a charge, and each job has how long it should take. If the mechanic can beat this time, he can make more money, both for himself, and the dealer. So if the job is in the data base at 1/2 hour, and the mechanic can do that job in 15 mins, then he can double his commission. You will still be charged the 30 mins anyway. The other side of this, is that if a job is listed at 3 hours, and it takes 4 then you are charged for 3, if the dealer is worth a darn anyway.
Thanks Kenny. That clears things up a bit. I was aware of the labor rates and how the jobs are timed.
But I am not thrilled with the idea of a tech rushing through jobs to make more money. It makes you wonder if sometimes little things get missed or things aren't done thoroughly.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Oh, I agree, there are things that are rushed through, and some little things are over looked from time to time. I really prefer to do things my self as much as I can, but in today's world the manufacturer's dont want anyone to do there own work. It Ts me off, but if you want anything new, thats just how it is today. I can't get the CEL to stay off in my 4 Runner. I know if I go to the dealer that will be $1000 or so. So the light just stays on. It s the rear 02 sensor doing this, so I'm not that worried about it.

Jimbos toy

Oh, I agree, there are things that are rushed through, and some little things are over looked from time to time. I really prefer to do things my self as much as I can, but in today's world the manufacturer's dont want anyone to do there own work. It Ts me off, but if you want anything new, thats just how it is today. I can't get the CEL to stay off in my 4 Runner. I know if I go to the dealer that will be $1000 or so. So the light just stays on. It s the rear 02 sensor doing this, so I'm not that worried about it.
I totally agree. I get great satisfaction doing the work myself. And saving money. But as the vehicles get more advanced, the less I can do.
Got to keep the older vehicles going!

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
.....................I really prefer to do things my self as much as I can, but in today's world the manufacturer's dont want anyone to do there own work. It Ts me off, but if you want anything new, thats just how it is today.....................
I agree with you on this Kenny. I love to do everything I can on my vehicles. At least I know it's done right and the satisfaction when I complete a job is well worth my time.

lester lugnut

I use dealers for warranty and TSB only. I do my own wrenching. My problem with them is not so much their fee, but their sloppy work or work that is never performed but charged for. This happens more than people realize. It's not just the quick lubes on youtube that rip people off.
Virtually every time I've gone to a dealership, I've had to go back multiple times to get the original work done right.
In 2016 it took a total of 3 visits to get a dash replacement on an '06 Avalon done correctly. I had to email the Fixed Operations Director(mgr. of both parts and service) involved to get this resolved. Service Advisor tried to push me away.
In 2017 I went thru a different problem, but same experience with another area Toyota dealer trying to get an oscillating sound resolved on a 2015 Tacoma 4.0 liter. Had to go once again to the Fixed Operations Director. Took a total of 5 visits to resolve.
My faith in Toyota dealerships is non-existent.
Unfortunately, this is how it is now at most dealerships, regardless of make.

There are basically 3 reasons why this happens in a dealership.

- Owner greed - get as many cars into the service bays as possible from the time you open 'til the shop closes.
- Todays cars are complicated and many techs lack knowledge/training/experience/intelligence to work issues that occur on these cars.
- Flat Rate - this is how most techs today are paid. For example, a job pays $100.00 - the sooner the tech gets done - the sooner he gets paid. This system encourages "hurry-up-get-it-done" - sloppy work.

This can happen in an independent repair shop, but they do one thing - fix cars. It behooves them more to do the work properly. The dealers has many ways to make $$$.

Jimbo's toy

I use dealers for warranty and TSB only. I do my own wrenching. My
I use dealers for warranty and TSB only. I do my own wrenching. My problem with them is not so much their fee, but their sloppy work or work that is never performed but charged for. This happens more than people realize. It's not just the quick lubes on youtube that rip people off.
Virtually every time I've gone to a dealership, I've had to go back multiple times to get the original work done right.
In 2016 it took a total of 3 visits to get a dash replacement on an '06 Avalon done correctly. I had to email the Fixed Operations Director(mgr. of both parts and service) involved to get this resolved. Service Advisor tried to push me away.
In 2017 I went thru a different problem, but same experience with another area Toyota dealer trying to get an oscillating sound resolved on a 2015 Tacoma 4.0 liter. Had to go once again to the Fixed Operations Director. Took a total of 5 visits to resolve.

- Owner greed - get as many cars into the service bays as possible from the time you open 'til the shop closes.
- Todays cars are complicated and many techs lack knowledge/training/experience/intelligence to work issues that occur on these cars.
- Flat Rate - this is how most techs today are paid. For example, a job pays $100.00 - the sooner the tech gets done - the sooner he gets paid. This system encourages "hurry-up-get-it-done" - sloppy work.

This can happen in an independent repair shop, but they do one thing - fix cars. It behooves them more to do the work properly. The dealers has many ways to make $$$.

problem with them is not so much their fee, but their sloppy work or work that is never performed but charged for. This happens more than people realize. It's not just the quick lubes on youtube that rip people off.

I totally agree. I believe you would be hard pressed to find any member here that like dealerships. In fact, I think that is why people join websites like this. So the can do it themselves.

Related Content You Might Like: