• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Someone put SUPER GLUE on my door handle. Getting it off.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Someone put super glue on my door handle and it dripped down the side of my driver's door. Fortunately there are enough products that will in fact dissolve superglue, I've just have to try them in succession to see which ones will not harm the paint.

I'm gonna start with a gentle nail Polish remover at that does not contain acetone. If that doesn't work then I'll move to a mixture of non acetone and acetone remover. That probably will do it, then I probly have to buff out afterwards.

20190910_220522.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
After round 1. A 50/50 mixture was what was needed. Im going to redo this tomorrow and then get a buffer to try to polish it up.

20190910_222714.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Might be kids? They get picked up for school near where in park sometimes.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Man, Steve, is your truck cursed or what. Maybe you do need to trade it in on something else. IDK. In the old days, you would have a talk with there Dads, but not today. I guess you need to set up a camera to catch the idiots that do things like this.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
At least its coming off and doesn't appear to even be touching the clearcoat. I might have to do this 2x more to get it fully off. However i am concerned with even a diluted amount of acetone on the door handle itself. I don't want it discolored.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Acetone should be ok. I have been using it on a lot of things lately. The worst thing it will do, is dry out the plastic. Is this happens, you can always put some thing like 303 on it, or I have even used baby oil and seen olive oil used before. I used to use baby oil on my dash and door panels years ago. You just have to buff it off with a clean dry towel, after its applied.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Acetone should be ok. I have been using it on a lot of things lately. The worst thing it will do, is dry out the plastic. Is this happens, you can always put some thing like 303 on it, or I have even used baby oil and seen olive oil used before. I used to use baby oil on my dash and door panels years ago. You just have to buff it off with a clean dry towel, after its applied.
Yeah, actually didn't look like it hurt the clearcoat at all. It's just really annoying to have to do this. I'll get it all cleaned and polished by the end of the weekend.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
that sucks but looking at the difference between the 1st and 2nd photos you're able to get it off without damaging the paint. Keep us updated on how the paint on your Tundra holds up with the wet sanding if you have to do that.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Cell I just did my 3rd session I've trying to remove the glue from the door. And it's at the point where you can't see the the natured white glue showing on the door, however you can see a very thin clear coat over the clear coat. If that makes any sense. I'm pretty certain it's gonna take a wet sanding to get that off, and I guess I'll have to get a wet sanding block something like 600 grit sand paper and have at it and see if that will get that last bit off and then try to put some heavy wax or something on it to cover it up.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
After sanding, you will need to buff out the sanding scratches with a D A buffer and some white polishing compound, then you can wax after its buffed out. Go through a few of these videos for guidance.

Related Content You Might Like: