• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Should I replace or rebuild my engine

1993 Toyota

I have a 1993 Toyota pk with the 2.4l 4 275000 miles. I ran the truck without coolant now it has a very bad knock, it makes a terrible sound while running. I don't know what could of gone wrong but I know I either need to rebuild or replace my engine. Should I rebuild or buy a used one? I don't want to sell the truck because it has been in the family for a long time.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Rebuilt is way better than used as long as the rebuilder knows what he, or she is doing, or takes it to an automotive machine shop to do the work. That being said, a crate engine is the most economical option. There are a lot of options when it comes to a crate engine.

Mikethewheelman

There are a few things to consider here, 1- Truck is 28 years old, 275,000 miles. If body is in good shape and you used it as a daily driver then buy all means have it rebuild. But I would go with a crate motor. If !! you use it as a daily driver. However if your keeping truck for sentimental reasons, and using it once in awhile just put a used engine , there are
a handful of place for used engines.

jimmyjim

loud knock after running hot. 1. run a compression check. 2. drop the pan, and examine (plastigauge) the rod and main bearings. these two things will tell you a lot about the condition of your engine. 3. put a timing light on it, and see how steady the timing is. if the timing jumps around a lot, maybe the problem is with the chain, gears, tensioner and guides. this can get noisy, and will cost about 300 bucks to fix if you do the work yourself. 275k is not a lot of miles for a toy truck. my 85 has 269k miles, and i pulled the bearings last year, but they plastigauged still in spec. low coolant can do damage, but low oil is more of a killer. before you spend 1000 plus bucks, do a little testing to isolate the problem. swapping out an engine is imho
a last resort.

Brads94

I am going through a similar decision on my 255k 2000 Tacoma. The truck started blowing smoke and likely has a bad head gasket or bad heads. It’s the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder, which has proven hard to find a good crate option as replacement. No one here recommended just putting a new head gasket or machined heads without rebuilding. I luckily found a guy here locally whose willing to rebuild mine!

jimmyjim

sounds like valves need re-seating and valve guide seals replaced. but head has to come off for that, so new head, intake and exhaust gasket set. also check cam clearances. a guy who can do it, great. and depending on how long since its been done, replace timing chain gears and guides.

jimmyjim

is that engine the timing chain type, or the serpentine belt kind? in either case the timing can be off, but the repair/replacement
is a little different. refer to the haines manual, or see if you can find a copy of the toyota shop manual. its worth having, even if you dont intend to do the work yourself.

JB1025

Yes if you can find out how much it might cost to rebuild vs a long block from somebody like 22RE Performance just do your homework i guess. I like the rebuilt Longblock option but my truck has 230k and i know it has been well taken care of so and still runs great so hoping for 300k or more before i need to decide.

Sani King

I am not sure about that But I can recommend you a guider or a garage service in the uk they are very professional in servicing car so you can ask them I am adding the link here YOU can check here

Related Content You Might Like: