• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Shopping For Another Tacoma

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I have decided that another Tacoma is in my future. All I know for sure at this poing is that it will be a 4x4 with a manual transmission. Been doing some research on the web and throwing some numbers around. Maybe after the holidays I will get to some dealer lots and take a test ride or two.

At first I was set on the 2.7L 4-Cyl Engine but after some thought I am now leaning towards the 3.5L V6 Engine. I like the reliability of the 2.7L and it has proven itself over time - but with just about the same gas mileage as the V6, it kind of makes more sense to go the with V6. Plus you get the towing package with the 6 cyl. I don't tow much but I do like the numbers (650/6500) if I feel the need to hook up the trailer and haul it around.

One big concern for me is the the long term reliability of the "all-new V6 with a segment-first 3.5-liter Atkinson cycle with VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing with Intelligent Wider Intake) equipped with Toyota’s D-4S technology, featuring both direct and port fuel injection. Any have any input on this?? Good or bad??? For now I will keep researching and see what I can uncover. Seems that most Toyota V6 owners and enjoying the new engine with no real issues.

Last edited:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I don't believe the Tacoma is or has been available with access or crew cab, v6, and manual trans for some time.
First gen Tacoma's could be purchased with v6/ 5spd in std cab and xcab for 1997 only.
1998 to 2004 v6/5spd was only available in xcab.
2005 to present trucks have offered the v6/5spd in xcab, but not every yr model, never offered that combo in crew cab trucks though.
And the 4cyl/5 spd combo was never offered in a crew cab, only xcab and std cab.
Now, if you go to Europe, South America, or Asia you can get those combos, and you could also choose a diesel.
Canada is iffy on purchasing that combo too, some years it wasn't offered.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The Toyota.com Build & Price page shows it available in the TRD Sport model. Ended up with this build: 2017 Tacoma 4x4, 3.5L V6, 6-speed Manual Transmission, Access Cab, 6 ft bed. I will be a bit disappointed if I can't one this way. Definitely not interested in the V6 with automatic transmission.

They also show the TRD Pro Double Cab available with the V6 & manual transmission.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I went on the same page to confirm, all I could get was a six speed automatic trans in that configuration.
Tibadoe you aren't in Canada are you? That would be the only reason I could think of for the difference.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Kind of weird, if I do that same build here in Texas it only offers me an automatic transmission.
A good friend of mine that's a GM at a Toyota dealer tells me the auto is the only trans available on that model truck in the southwest sales region.
So I'm guessing this is a regional thing.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Kind of weird, if I do that same build here in Texas it only offers me an automatic transmission.
A good friend of mine that's a GM at a Toyota dealer tells me the auto is the only trans available on that model truck in the southwest sales region.
So I'm guessing this is a regional thing.
For a minute there I thought maybe I was going crazy. I'm just not interested in another automatic transmission that's difficult changing/checking the fluid.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Would be kinda nice if all Tacoma models gave you a choice of Access Cab and MT. I been the Double Cab route a couple times and found I just don't need it.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My daily driver in Texas is a crew cab truck, that logs 95% of its miles with me as the sole occupant, but when I need the extra room it's there. Yea I know 95% of the time a waste.
I just bought another truck to use when I'm in Montana, and without even questioning the wisdom I bought another Crew Cab. No I'm not a big guy that needs lots of cab space, 5'7 190lbs, I'm just accustomed to having the space available when I need it.

Related Content You Might Like: