• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Shift ranges

Dseitz

I just picked up a 1988 Toyota Pickup 3.0l 4X4 5 speed manual and does not have a tach. Does anyone know the max speed for each gear? I am trying to get to know this truck and love it so far. Also, is there a site to view an owners manual on-line? What is the best aftermarket repair manual? I have a Haynes. Thanks

Attachments

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Sorry for the slow response. I just saw your post for the first time today. So, on shifting, there is no set speed ti shift at. It would depend on a lot of factors, (EG, tire size, gear ratios,ECT.) Peek power will be around max RPMs so, basically, when the engine is screaming, its time to shift. As for repair, and, or, owners manuals, IDK. There are places to get a repair manual, but if you already have a Hanes, it will have a lot of good info. Youtube has a lot of good repair videos also. You have a nice truck. Regular maintenance will make it last for a long time. If you want a dependable vehicle that you dont have to work on, get a Toyota. You have that covered. Welcome to the forum.

Dseitz

Thank you for your response. I have an owners manual now and like I said the Haynes. I wish I had a tach, but that is another day project for a sr5 instrument swap.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
A couple of things to consider: 1) engine mods will affect your shift points because mods like a header/exhaust allow the engine to breathe better and getting to higher RPMs is MUCH easier on the engine. 2) rather than try to swap your gauge cluster for an SR5 cluster, you may wish to consider just an inexpensive add-on tach. Only a few wires to connect, and you have to find some place to mount the tach. Much simpler and easier than swapping the gauge cluster.

jimmyjim

my 85 has the 4 speed. i run it to 20 in first, 40 in second, 55 to 60 in 3rd, and cruise all day at 65 to 70 in 4th. but my speedometer reads 3mph higher than my actual speed, so i dont accumulate a pile of speeding tickets. i do get tailgaiters, but it dont matter how fast i go, theres always plenty wanna go faster.

jimmyjim

i dont know if they still sell them. but back in the day they used to make tachs that mounted on the hood. not so great back east, but fine for the sun belt.

Dseitz

I have been looking at them, and think I’ll just listen to the engine for now. Thought about and SR5 gauge swap but not sure

Related Content You Might Like: