• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Rolled my 92 Hilux 360° and drove away unscathed?

Hilux92

I rolled my lifted 1992 Toyota Hilux (which has 5.29 gears) the other night while I was 4x4ing I rolled her a complete 360° (landed on my tires!!). The engine never died during or after the roll I just collected myself and drove home. I took a better look at my damage the next day in the daylight and it seemed like it was mainly cosmetic besides the cap of my coolant overflow container popped off and had to top it up. She drove straight, no pulling, shaking, grinding, banging, clanging, temp was fine, battery was normal, oil pressure normal, drove like I never rolled er!?!? I checked her axles, suspension, steering components all the obvious high probability of damage parts and she seemed fine. I do have her booked in for a wheel alignment (because she deserves it!) and a windshield replacement next week. Although I feel like there should be more damage than that for a roll over? Any suggestions on things I should check or watch out for maybe I'm missing something or over looking something?
IMG_20210124_100216.jpg
IMG_20210124_101145.jpg
IMG_20210124_103716.jpg
IMG_20210124_103422.jpg

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Your lucky, good Lord was watching out for you, but looks like the roll bar stopped most of the damage. In hindsight it would have been nice to have had the bar extend over the cab down to the front bumper area like rock crawlers have. The old series "X-treme 4x4" before they changed hosts had many shows on just this topic. He built some that were close to the body outline but allowed access to all essential items. What do you plan to do with the top? R&R or just drive it with the battle damage ? I had a '69 Ford F25 High Boy 390 hypo with granny, rolled it the same way but it stopped at about a 60 degree angle up against a pine tree (the bed though) up a trail along the St Varain river in CO. Just replaced the bed and was off 4 wheeling again.

Hilux92

I've got a parts truck and when I've got enough to build an exoskeleton for her I'm gonna swap the cab but until then I'll drive her as is. Lol

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Yea, that roll bar is what saved you. I used to see a roll bar save vehicles a lot when I was a mechanic at the Jeep dealer many years ago. You were lucky for sure.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
About 15 years ago, I come up on a Tahoe, flipped upside down, and still running. I mush have pulled up, rite after it happened. So I look at the scene, and there is this guy sitting on the side of the road in the grass, holding his hand. I see the Tahoe, I see the Tahoe starting to blow black smoke rings out of the exhaust pipe. So I walk over to the Tahoe, and reach inside, and turn the key off. People are freaking out thing that it is going to explode, but I know it wont. So after I get the engine turned off, I go the see about the driver. Having some first responder training, I see He is ok except for His smashed hand. I had fallen out of the sun roof, and the Tahoe rolled over it. Im telling the Guy, Hey man, your going to be OK. I say, there is a lot of things that they can do to fix your hand. He said, so you dint think I will loose my hand, I said no. Then He said, so do you think its broken, ( not to be mean, but its all I could do, not to laugh) His hand was twice its normal size. I said Oh yea, its broken all rite, but they can fix it, you wont loose it. And about that time, the ambulance showed up. I said, well Ok, I need to go. So when I said your were lucky, yea, you came out with out a scratch. That was lucky. The guy in the Tahoe, could have been run over by His own truck. It happens like that a lot. Same for you. Not to scare you, its just the facts.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
BTW, is that a gas model or a diesel ? I'm in the process of finishing up (6 months I guess) a Helix diesel / Auto trans 4X4 install into a 69 FJ40. I posted some pictures in December 2020. They say about 47 MPG so I couldn't resist.

Hilux92

About 15 years ago, I come up on a Tahoe, flipped upside down, and still running. I mush have pulled up, rite after it happened. So I look at the scene, and there is this guy sitting on the side of the road in the grass, holding his hand. I see the Tahoe, I see the Tahoe starting to blow black smoke rings out of the exhaust pipe. So I walk over to the Tahoe, and reach inside, and turn the key off. People are freaking out thing that it is going to explode, but I know it wont. So after I get the engine turned off, I go the see about the driver. Having some first responder training, I see He is ok except for His smashed hand. I had fallen out of the sun roof, and the Tahoe rolled over it. Im telling the Guy, Hey man, your going to be OK. I say, there is a lot of things that they can do to fix your hand. He said, so you dint think I will loose my hand, I said no. Then He said, so do you think its broken, ( not to be mean, but its all I could do, not to laugh) His hand was twice its normal size. I said Oh yea, its broken all rite, but they can fix it, you wont loose it. And about that time, the ambulance showed up. I said, well Ok, I need to go. So when I said your were lucky, yea, you came out with out a scratch. That was lucky. The guy in the Tahoe, could have been run over by His own truck. It happens like that a lot. Same for you. Not to scare you, its just the facts.
Wow! That guy was very lucky! I had a loved one paralyzed by a rollover he was lucky he lived and got 25% mobility back after 5+yrs of therapy. 12 yrs later he still goes to physio. I am lucky in that respect. I'm fine I am just sceptical about the condition of my vehicle.

Hilux92

BTW, is that a gas model or a diesel ? I'm in the process of finishing up (6 months I guess) a Helix diesel / Auto trans 4X4 install into a 69 FJ40. I posted some pictures in December 2020. They say about 47 MPG so I couldn't resist.
It is a gas job. Lol Nice! I'll have to see if I can find the pics on here. I love the body style of the FJ40. I'd love to know my mileage but my odometer stopped working at 475,000km and my gas gauge doesn't work. Lol

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Wow! That guy was very lucky! I had a loved one paralyzed by a rollover he was lucky he lived and got 25% mobility back after 5+yrs of therapy. 12 yrs later he still goes to physio. I am lucky in that respect. I'm fine I am just sceptical about the condition of my vehicle.
Dont let it scare you to much just because it was rolled. Its metal, its just bent up is all. As long as its running good you should be fine. Also have a friend follow you down the road for behind, and look to see that your truck is still tracking straight. As long as it is not crabbing down the road, and it is sitting at the same or close to the same stance as before, you should be fine. Also you can have an alignment shop put it on there machine a check that its still good, you will be fine if all of that is good. Find a good alignment shop, not someone like Firestone. A locally owned shop with a good rep is what your looking for. Like I said before, I used to see rolled over Jeeps. It was all sheet metal damage most of the time. Any good body shop can repair sheet metal, or you can always swap your donner vehicles metal.

Hilux92

I'm not sure where abouts your from so this question may not get answered... (I'm from Western Alberta) I've called about 8 different shops and they all say:
A.) We don't do imports
B.) We don't do lifts
C.) It will cost you anywhere from $700-$800.oo to do an alignment on an Imported, lifted truck with 5.29 gears.

If you know of any places that are reliable and cost effective that'd be great if not I'll keep asking around. Lol

I hate to bring covit into this but since covit I'm not making what I used to so even something like $500.oo is a bit much. (Especially when I got my 94 Pontiac Sunbird done for $85.oo)

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
700 to 800 is a way for a shop to discouraged your busness. They dont want to do the job. So if you cant find anyone to do the job, you can check things your self. Measure the distance from the fender to the ground on all 4 tires. It should be about the same from side to side. Front to back doesnt matter. There are videos on youtube on doing an alignment in yourself. This will give you insight on what to look for. Just type in 4x4 alignment in the youtube search bar. Crawl around under the truck, and look for anything that is bent. Look at both sides and see if they are the same or different. IMO if the truck is still driving straight down the road, you should be fine. When something under the truck is bent, its obvious. If you have any questions, I will do what I can to help walk you through it.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Nothing around Calgary? This COVID plandemic has been and is a PITA ! If you wanted to do the old self quarantine game of 14 days dreamed up by Heir Trudeau maybe consider Bonners Ferry or Sandpoint below Creston it's 4 lane all the way now. I can't imagine why a shop wouldn't do an import truck being it's still the same truck. I agree with Kenny it's probably they just don't want to do the job, they think there is a liability issue because of the bent sheet metal I would assume. Maybe approach them with you'd sign a waiver or guarantee not to sue because the truck is modified. Good luck.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
For comparison, local alignment shops--even the BEST ones--charge about $100-150 depending on how much work/time it took to do the job. This is in Grand Junction, CO where alignments are done all the time due to the tons of work people do to their 4x4s, including lots of lifts.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I rolled my lifted 1992 Toyota Hilux (which has 5.29 gears) the other night while I was 4x4ing I rolled her a complete 360° (landed on my tires!!). The engine never died during or after the roll I just collected myself and drove home. I took a better look at my damage the next day in the daylight and it seemed like it was mainly cosmetic besides the cap of my coolant overflow container popped off and had to top it up. She drove straight, no pulling, shaking, grinding, banging, clanging, temp was fine, battery was normal, oil pressure normal, drove like I never rolled er!?!? I checked her axles, suspension, steering components all the obvious high probability of damage parts and she seemed fine. I do have her booked in for a wheel alignment (because she deserves it!) and a windshield replacement next week. Although I feel like there should be more damage than that for a roll over? Any suggestions on things I should check or watch out for maybe I'm missing something or over looking something?View attachment 9828View attachment 9829View attachment 9836View attachment 9833
Glad no one got hurt, i've been in a rollover accident before but it didn't look like that.

jimmyjim

yep, 800 bucks is way high, unless they have already put it on the lift and tested the linkages. i took my 85 2wd to big0 and they wanted over 800. but that included tierods, idler arm, draglink, and damper. so i have a parts truck, and lucked out finding an idlerarm for 24bucks, new shocks and a damper for 160, and tierods from the parts truck.
toe is the easy part of alignment, put the front up on jack stands. measure center to center on the front and rear of the tires. adjust the tierods till you are within an 1/8th of an inch front and back, distance between tires. you need a stiff measure and good eyes. uncomfortable in the snow though.☺

Related Content You Might Like: