• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Replacing Tires on a Utility Trailer

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Honestly these tires are way overdue for being changed. They've got to be at least 15 years old, even though they have very few miles on them they've clearly broke down from age.

Looking into it, there are different types of trailer tires, but the majority of basic utility trailer tires do in fact appear to be 12-inch and either 4 or 5 lug.

Mine are 5-lug with rusted lugs at that. It's time to replace them and since my dad spent the time to rewire the trailer maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I'd like to keep it as having a small utility trailer is very useful.

There appears to be two basic general ways to get these tires for place.

First, you can simply go to a place like tractor supply, northern tool, Harbor freight or even Walmart to get a full wheel and tire unit. That means it's the wheel entire already together from the factory. This is clearly the most expensive option. Sense my rims are fine, and only the tires are wrecked. I'll not instantly consider this.

The second option, is to jsck up the trailer remove the wheel entire assembly, and go to a place like discount tire, Walmart tire, national tire and battery, or any other tire store and have them put new tires on your existing brims. Clearly this is a lot more work, however it does look like the tires will be $20 the $30 for my trailer, instead of $50 to $75 or even more at 1 of the places where the wheel and tire come together from the factory.

I'm in a position where i can't move the trailer and I'll keep looking online for a 3rd option. Ordering a wheel & tire online for a big discount by waiting a week for them to cone in.

Since I'm not certain at all but the lug pattern on these rims are, this 3rd option isn't all that appealing to me because it's very easy for me to order the wrong rim pattern comet if that's a possibility, I have absolutely no idea at all.

20190922_152708.jpg
20190922_152641.jpg
20190921_115821.jpg
20190921_115552.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
This video on measuring lug patterns was very helpful.

Measure from the center of one lug to the outer edge of another hole. This gives you the lug pattern.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So i was able to get them reseated and used fix-a-flat to inflate them. Honestly i can't find my little plug in air pump and this load is not stable now so i can't drive the 1/2 mile to get air. So i guess ill maybe run to buy a small 12 volt plug in pump.
15691912645048021789291535423353.jpg
15691912947081358590193086569974.jpg

Related Content You Might Like: