• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Replacing Rear Shocks

Phillip Lafleur

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help. I have a 2002 SR5 2WD and found out today I have a broken shock on Driver's side rear. Need to replace. Got confused on PartsGeek, there seem to b a lot of fitment details for some shocks and not others. Bilstein's seem to have pre and post March 2002 production differences, and differences from 2 to 4 WD. Other brands don't specify. Some Bilsteins don't specify. Is there a difference pre and post March 2002 and is there a difference from 2 to 4WD? Don't want to order wrong part and find out after I have old shock off. Thanks!

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm also from Lafayette, La. If they are saying pre or post March 2002, then yea there is a difference. There is a sticker, or plate on your truck that says when it was made. Bilstein's are good shocks. As for the fit, to be honest, If you call Hampton, or any other dealer (parts dept.) on Monday and give them your VIN they can give you the info on your truck, of you can't find the plate or sticker. As a good rule of thumb, the more HD the shocks are, the stiffer the ride will be, and the more load they will handle. For example SUV shocks will give a good ride, but will handle less load weight.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Were you planning on replacing all four (front & rear) or just the broken one? I would recommend you replace all four. Mostly if they are the original ones from the factory since they are probably pretty worn out. You will gain a better handling ride in the long run.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Some of the biggest differences are:
Is your truck a TRD model?
Is your truck a Crewcab model?
Is your truck V6 or I4?
Is your truck a 5spd manual or automatic?
Does your truck have a factory tow package?
All these items make a difference in shock rebound rates
I am assuming you truck has not been lifted, if it has that makes for another factor in shock choice.
4wd r/r and TRD r/r shocks are a few inches longer.
4wd frt and TRD frt shocks are a coil over design and best replaced by an experienced mechanic with the right spring compressor.
2wd frt are a standard shock and easily a diy swap.
Post 2002 changes mostly concern load and rebound rates, while its not a huge concern it doesn't really figure in at all if the truck has been lifted.

Related Content You Might Like: