• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Renovation of 84 Toyota pick-up

New to the Forum...I am under way now with striping my 84 Toy pick-up (184,000 miles) for complete renovation, presently pulling the motor/Tans , after which all componants under hood and on exterior will be pulled to get the shell prepped and painted, I will be rebuilding the engine and will send Tranny and associated gear to shop for rebuild, also replacing suspension exhaust front to rear, soundproffing the cab reupholstering the seats (stock are just too uncomfortable). Any advice to help with power etc would be welcomed. I will be keeping her as close to stock as possible. My avatar is what she is supposed to look like

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site. Please keep us updated. What does she look like now?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Truck looks good. I find the stock split bench seat in my 91 is comfortable, and I sit for a living. Maybe go to a pick and pull and find something you like..I put 89 gm cavalier seats in my ot vehicle. They just happened to be in the box of a project truck that showed up..very comfy seats long trips. I do know stay away from ford bench seats!

2013-05-15 17.53.49.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Truck looks good. I find the stock split bench seat in my 91 is comfortable, and I sit for a living. Maybe go to a pick and pull and find something you like..I put 89 gm cavalier seats in my ot vehicle. They just happened to be in the box of a project truck that showed up..very comfy seats long trips. I do know stay away from ford bench seats!
I sit for a living too, but I think we're talking about different things. :) haha

Good looking kiddo, by the way.

trying to remove engine from the truck Ive disconnected the tranny...removed all bolts and exhaust and two front engine mounts but the engine will not separate from tranny?????any ideas folks. I am not taking tranny out with engine...I will drop tranny AFTER engine is removed.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The 30 year marriage seems to be all that's holding them together? Likely the dowels frozen. Penetrating oil, pinching and prying between block and transmission and whacking the bell housing with large PLASTIC hammer. No different from other engines as long as ALL the bolts have been removed. Some guys will push on clutch pedal to separate but that can damage slave cylinder.

got her out...the dowels were corroded pretty good, also noticed that the throw out bearing was broken...not sure if I did it or perhaps it was the cause of some of the noise in 1st thru 3rd gear?????

schecter

View attachment 2554
Would Cavalier seats fit my '87 base model truck?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
got her out...the dowels were corroded pretty good, also noticed that the throw out bearing was broken...not sure if I did it or perhaps it was the cause of some of the noise in 1st thru 3rd gear?????
I have not removed one of these toyota transmissions,,,are those dowels removable? gm's I have worked I would pound the dowels out to make separation easier and then reinstall to align engine to transmission again. I see you are going to have the transmission looked at,,,good plan while its out as I dont' think your throwout bearing is the only problem,,,,i think it would rattle in all gears however you don't have a lot of miles on the truck if was decently maintained...

I am having the entire drive train rebuilt...as well as engine (I will do engine myself) removing cab and bed to get frame axles etc. bead blasted and re coated then complete new paint new interior (re-apoulster) adding soundproofing. My goal is to have this look, feel and smell like it just came from the dealership...I will also be replacing all suspension. I just wish I could find a "real" factory shop manual.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looks like a really fun project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

fun so far....im thinkin when its time to re-assemble THATS when the fun really begins *I wonder hawmany extra parts and hardware ill end up with* Got a call from AAMCO they found bad bearings in trans (guess that's where the noise in 1st thru 3rd gear came from) so the tranny rebuild will consist of new bearing and brass and seals throughout...$1000 beans but I was prepared for something in that neighborhood

Related Content You Might Like: