• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Rear disc brakes on Tacoma

Bagman

Anyone done a conversion to discs on the rear? When I'm towing my two quads stopping distance is greatly increased I have to adjust stopping distance. Thought rear discs would help the situation. Is it: feasible, financially viable, etc.?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If you do a search you'll find some information on disc brake swaps, it isnt a popular swap for Tacoma trucks because of the issues encountered dealing with the ABS and Brake Bias systems.
What your looking for is increased stopping power, and if you have a complete understanding of the brake system you'll realize a swap to rotors wont increase the stopping power, drums have sufficient stopping power when adjusted right and in tune with the load their carrying.
The rear brakes on your Tacoma are only a small percentage of the trucks braking power, (every vehicle uses a larger percentage of the front brakes to stop than the rear) you could increase that percentage by adjusting the Brake Bypass Valve, but the problem there is when your trucks unloaded you'll have braking issues dealing with to much stopping power, and since you have ABS it'll kick in every time the wheels start to skid and further reduce your stopping power.
The Brake Bypass Valve is designed to allow more rear wheel braking when theres increased load in the bed of the truck, one of the reasons your using a trailer is to decrease the load in the bed of the truck, so if your trailer is properly set up you've only added 10% of the weight at the rear bumper, the Brake Bypass sees that as a very small amount that barely affects the valve so you dont see much braking increase.
Theres 2 good ways to handle this issue on your truck:
1. Remove the Brake Bypass Valve and replace it with a manual brake transfer valve that you can adjust from the cab.
2. Get trailer brakes.

I have a lifted 99 Tacoma with 36" tires that I tow an 18.5' Ski boat behind, when the boat was new and the truck was only lifted 3" with 33" tires it wasnt a problem, I had a lengthened Brake Bypass Valve actuating arm that kept the system loaded so I was always getting a little more rear brake.
After I lifted the truck 6" higher and added 3" larger tires it became a nightmare to tow with, it would overrun the brakes after a few stops and things got a little heated.
The solution was slotted front rotors to get rid of some heat, and adding in cab control to the brake bypass system. I also bought a new trailer with electronic brakes which made the ride even less white knuckle.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
This is great info.. Thanks tbplus10

If you do a search you'll find some information on disc brake swaps, it isnt a popular swap for Tacoma trucks because of the issues encountered dealing with the ABS and Brake Bias systems.
What your looking for is increased stopping power, and if you have a complete understanding of the brake system you'll realize a swap to rotors wont increase the stopping power, drums have sufficient stopping power when adjusted right and in tune with the load their carrying.
The rear brakes on your Tacoma are only a small percentage of the trucks braking power, (every vehicle uses a larger percentage of the front brakes to stop than the rear) you could increase that percentage by adjusting the Brake Bypass Valve, but the problem there is when your trucks unloaded you'll have braking issues dealing with to much stopping power, and since you have ABS it'll kick in every time the wheels start to skid and further reduce your stopping power.
The Brake Bypass Valve is designed to allow more rear wheel braking when theres increased load in the bed of the truck, one of the reasons your using a trailer is to decrease the load in the bed of the truck, so if your trailer is properly set up you've only added 10% of the weight at the rear bumper, the Brake Bypass sees that as a very small amount that barely affects the valve so you dont see much braking increase.
Theres 2 good ways to handle this issue on your truck:
1. Remove the Brake Bypass Valve and replace it with a manual brake transfer valve that you can adjust from the cab.
2. Get trailer brakes.

I have a lifted 99 Tacoma with 36" tires that I tow an 18.5' Ski boat behind, when the boat was new and the truck was only lifted 3" with 33" tires it wasnt a problem, I had a lengthened Brake Bypass Valve actuating arm that kept the system loaded so I was always getting a little more rear brake.
After I lifted the truck 6" higher and added 3" larger tires it became a nightmare to tow with, it would overrun the brakes after a few stops and things got a little heated.
The solution was slotted front rotors to get rid of some heat, and adding in cab control to the brake bypass system. I also bought a new trailer with electronic brakes which made the ride even less white knuckle.

Related Content You Might Like: