• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Proper Lubricant For W Series Transmission

Ronald Keysor

I have a 1960 Austin Healey with a Toyota 5 speed, likely a truck transmission. I say this because I was turning 3000 rpm at 60 mph in 5th gear with the standard Healey 3.9 diff. The desirable Supra boxes reportedly give much higher speeds at that rpm. I have now replaced the ring and pinion gears with a UK-sourced 3.5 rear end which gives me about 67 mph at 3000 rpm. It's very common to replace Healey boxes with the superior Toyota, a conversion referred to as "Smitty's" for the name of man who first offered conversion kits. I have never serviced this transmission, and I need to know the proper lubricant. Thanks.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I've used Redline trans fluid in all different Toyota truck transmissions since the early eighties. Match the weight for your local weather/temps.

Ronald Keysor

Belatedly I'll ask, is Redline transmission fluid an automatic transmission fluid as opposed to say, the usual 70-90 weight oil type lubricants used in standard transmissions. Could anyone suggest a more generic product made by one of the major manufacturers? Thanks.

Ronald Keysor

Further to my question, what is the nominal fill capacity of a old Toyota 5-speed? I have visited Reline Web sites and now know they offer conventional manual transmission oils for Toyotas.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Fill to the bottom of the hole on the side of the trans.
I do know some that remove the shifter and fill through there, but one of the people that services his trans that way has been through a few seals on his trans, swears its not due to over filling.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I have a 1960 Austin Healey with a Toyota 5 speed, likely a truck transmission. I say this because I was turning 3000 rpm at 60 mph in 5th gear with the standard Healey 3.9 diff. The desirable Supra boxes reportedly give much higher speeds at that rpm. I have now replaced the ring and pinion gears with a UK-sourced 3.5 rear end which gives me about 67 mph at 3000 rpm. It's very common to replace Healey boxes with the superior Toyota, a conversion referred to as "Smitty's" for the name of man who first offered conversion kits. I have never serviced this transmission, and I need to know the proper lubricant. Thanks.
I'd like to see a pic of your Austin Healey. What's the story on you picking up this car?

Related Content You Might Like: