• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

proble idle

paulmars

2003, 76k miles, 2wd 2.4L, 5sp

sometimes too slow idle, so its running rough, other times it's a fast idle, and sometimes it sounds about right idle speed. It never changes from one state to another while idling. It only changes after driving a bit and slowing to a stop, like from light to light in city driving. Ive even had it idling for up to ten minutes in my drvway and it stays steady whether slow, fast, or normal.

Actually the fast happens less frequently.

All vacuum hoses that I see are fine. Actually from the label in the engine compartment, it only has EGR vacuum hoses. Now I actually cant see the hoses where they enter the charcoal canister. There are two electronic (switches) in these vacuum hoses that I have not tested.

Any ideas?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
It could be a ton of different things. Hows the TBI, is it clean. Hows the iginition system. After the vacuum system, thats the next place to look. Also have you pulled the ECM codes. Thats the first thing that needs to be done, before anything else.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
I saw this on the net, maybe help? Some ideas and items to consider.

The Idle speed is not adjust able on newer vehicles. If you have an idle problem, you might have an air or a vacuum leak causing a unstable idle.
This is very common! Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running. Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.
If it is hard to pinpoint take some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!
Also, your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. This is very common on older cars. The IAC motor gets lazy and cant keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, I rec to check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

Check for the following conditions:
Poor connection at PCM or IAC motor. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
Restricted air intake system. Check for a possible collapsed air intake duct, restricted air filter element, or foreign objects blocking the air intake system.
Throttle body. Check for objects blocking the IAC passage or throttle bore, excessive deposits in the IAC passage and on the IAC pintle, and excessive deposits in the throttle bore and on the throttle plate. Check for a sticking throttle plate. Also inspect the IAC passage for deposits or objects which will not allow the IAC pintle to fully extend.
Vacuum leak. Check for a condition that causes a vacuum leak, such as disconnected or damaged hoses, leaks at EGR valve and EGR pipe to intake manifold, leaks at throttle body, faulty or incorrectly installed PCV valve, leaks at intake manifold brake booster hose disconnected, oil filler cap, oil level indicator loose or missing, etc..

Related Content You Might Like: