• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Power Steering Issues ~ 2018 Tacoma with 10k miles

Firsttaco

I purchased a 2018 Tacoma brand new last year it currently has 10k miles. I was driving and all of a sudden I couldn’t turn the steering wheel. I reached my destination lifted the hood and noticed the cap to the power steering reservoir had popped off and the fluid blew out everywhere all over the engine. I proceeded to fill it back up with fluid put cap back on and I took it to dealership and they don’t know what caused it. They finally told me that they are just gonna replace the pump and rack and pinion with all new parts. They did say that they found metal shavings in the fluid but still don’t know what that’s all about. Do y’all have any idea what would’ve caused the cap to blow off like that in the middle of driving and why the metal shavings? Obviously it’s under warranty and I will not be charged for repairs but my concern also is that this will be a slippery slope where issues will start happening all pointing back to this incident.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
As long as Toyota is replacing the pump, and rack&pinion you should be good. As for shavings, thats because the systen ran dry and that caused abnorman ware. The steering system is not ment to run dry on these trucks. Why did ot happen to start with, well you may never know. Could be a lot of reasons. Cap was not seated correctly most likely. Did this happen after an oil change, or some other service. Did a mechanic check the fluid level after another service. IDK.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My guess is also that the cap was not put back on correctly. You should be good to go with Toyota installing all the needed PS parts. If it would make you feel better in the long run -- push the issue for a free or deeply discounted OEM extended warranty.

Firsttaco

My guess is also that the cap was not put back on correctly. You should be good to go with Toyota installing all the needed PS parts. If it would make you feel better in the long run -- push the issue for a free or deeply discounted OEM extended warranty.
Thank you guys, the last people to look under the hood was the dealership when I took it them to provide the 5k mile service. I explained this to them their response was that the cap had to have been put on there correctly or this problem would’ve happen a lot sooner. This issue occurred at the 10k mile mark. So that’s 5k miles worth of driving then all of a sudden this happens. I see there point. But when I put the cap back on I had a little trouble myself putting it on I could see how it could mistakenly seem that it was on correctly.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Good thing dealer covering all the bases. No idea what could have happened other than cap falling off and fluid splashing out.

Related Content You Might Like: