• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Polishing out scratches in your truck? What do you use?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Since I'm going to be buying a polishing kit in the next few days, what types of products should I be looking at? I'm mostly interested in things that will treat slight scratches in the paint.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
A DA polisher works wonders. Some turtle wax, white polishing compound, a fleece bonnet, and a few terry cloth bonnets will work wonders. The after the buff out with the polishing compound, a buff out with the terry cloth bonnets and some wax. Then a hand wax. That is how my wife got our 4 runner to a mirror finish. This is also what I use on my old Chevy. You can get the DA polisher @ harbor freight cheap. 6 inch is whats in the pic, and all you need. Also any waxor compound you use, need to be liquid. Bottle type wax and compound is what I use. I also like McGuires cleaner wax.
69487_W3.jpg
20190902_114517_HDR.jpg
20190902_114506_HDR.jpg
DSCN1625.JPG

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
A DA polisher works wonders. Some turtle wax, white polishing compound, a fleece bonnet, and a few terry cloth bonnets will work wonders. The after the buff out with the polishing compound, a buff out with the terry cloth bonnets and some wax. Then a hand wax. That is how my wife got our 4 runner to a mirror finish. This is also what I use on my old Chevy. You can get the DA polisher @ harbor freight cheap. 6 inch is whats in the pic, and all you need. Also any waxor compound you use, need to be liquid. Bottle type wax and compound is what I use. I also like McGuires cleaner wax. View attachment 9105View attachment 9106View attachment 9107View attachment 9108
I'm going to take a look into that. Hope fo they fill in the small scratches?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
A deep scratch will need to be filled with some clear coat. A real deep scratch will need to be filled with touch up paint, then sanded with some 600 wet sand paper on a sanding block. I have even used a small wooden block I cut from some scrap. You never want to sand by hand, without a sanding block. The pressure from your fingers will leave marks in the paint, clear coat, or whatever. Soak the sand paper in water for about 20 mins before using. Then dip the sand paper back in the water every few mins. After sanding, the area will need to be buffed out with the DA sander. Then wax.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I have a walmart-purchased Wen 10-inch polisher, nothing fancy, cost about $30 or so and just use a mix of Meguiar’s products such as Meguiars Premium Paste Wax. Really something you can do in 30 minutes if you're in a hurry or take your time and polish and buff for hours if you have more time.

1568308017796.png
1568308217739.png

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
A DA polisher works wonders. Some turtle wax, white polishing compound, a fleece bonnet, and a few terry cloth bonnets will work wonders. The after the buff out with the polishing compound, a buff out with the terry cloth bonnets and some wax. Then a hand wax. That is how my wife got our 4 runner to a mirror finish. This is also what I use on my old Chevy. You can get the DA polisher @ harbor freight cheap. 6 inch is whats in the pic, and all you need. Also any waxor compound you use, need to be liquid. Bottle type wax and compound is what I use. I also like McGuires cleaner wax. View attachment 9105View attachment 9106View attachment 9107View attachment 9108
Love that high gloss shine, looks nice.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but since I've been going to the car wash and getting their super ultimate wash (see post about that) ... the scratches are starting to disappear. Doesn't make sense, could the clear coat scratches be getting filled in with something that's making them less visible?

toyotasrule

100 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but since I've been going to the car wash and getting their super ultimate wash (see post about that) ... the scratches are starting to disappear. Doesn't make sense, could the clear coat scratches be getting filled in with something that's making them less visible?
Let's see some pics now that you say it's diminished.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Here's a pic of the same scratch in the door of my Tundra. You can clearly see that it's heavily reduced in appearance. In fact, you can only see it when contrasted against my black jeans.

20190913_175451.jpg

Related Content You Might Like: