• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Pickup will not launch when standing still ~ 2017 Tacoma v6 auto

Afterpartyfinder

I just bought a 2017 Tacoma v6 auto. It does not want to take off when I initially give it some throttle when in drive, like it just sputters a little. There is a long hesitation before I can get some rpms and then launch the vehicle. I have found a work around this by manually putting it in first gear and shifting into auto after I get moving. It acts like it is trying to take off in 4th gear. When I am on asphalt and not towing a trailer it does ok but still the hesitation. Is this normal did the dealership miss something when they sold it to me? Is this something I can fix?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Tacoma v6 auto. It does not want to take off when I initially give it some throttle when in drive, like it just sputters a little. There is a long hesitation before I can get some rpms and then launch the vehicle. I have found a work around this by manually putting it in first gear and shifting into auto after I get moving. It acts like it is trying to take off in 4th gear. When I am on asphalt and not towing a trailer it does ok but still the hesitation. Is this normal did the dealership miss something when they sold it to me? Is this something I can fix?
No, that's not normal. How many miles? Still under warranty?

Afterpartyfinder

Report back what they find.

Other questions...
  • How long had it been happening?

I have only driven it a handful of times and it is very noticeable and has been happening since day 1. I have had it a little over a month. I thought it was misfiring when under 2000 rpm so I put seafoam and hightest gas in it but the problem continues.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Since you have the automatic -- have the transmission fluid level checked. It was a know problem that many came from the factory under filled with fluid. Definitely get it checked before any damage is done. I would want to at least document the issue by dealer or rule it out. Keep us posted.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Since you have the automatic -- have the transmission fluid level checked. It was a know problem that many came from the factory under filled with fluid. Definitely get it checked before any damage is done. I would want to at least document the issue by dealer or rule it out. Keep us posted.
I've had sticking solenoids with GM transmissions before but not Toyota, but its very similar. Good ideas on the fluid level, that's a good place to start.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Did you take this into the dealer @Afterpartyfinder

Afterpartyfinder

I recently purchased an atv also and I was told non ethanol gas was better for the motor so I filled the pickup up with ethanol free gas at the same time as the atv and the issue went away. The Toyota does excellent now, I can even spin out if I choose as the power is immediate. I still plan on letting the dealer know but at least the annoying take off hesitation is gone. Best thing I ever did was put that good ethanol free gas in my tank.

Afterpartyfinder

I definitely don't want a Tacoma if it needs premium (the only ethanol-free gasoline you can buy here).
There may be a more serious issue that the premium gas is covering up. Carbon build up, fuel filter, old spark plugs, ect, hopefully they can find it when I take it in. I will just put cheap gas in to recreate the issue for the service dept. I need to make time to get it serviced soon.

Afterpartyfinder

I just got the pickup back from the dealer who said my throttle body was full of carbon and I had a clogged air filter. Because I drove the pickup long enough to need an oil change they would not warranty the work. Cost 165 for a new filter and to clean the throttle body. Pickup seems to take off much better. I hope that was the fix I was looking for. Had I taken it right back right away after purchase they would warrantied the work, I waited 3000 miles. They supposadly did a 101 point inspection before I bought it, so I didnt check the filter, they should have caught the air filter but such is life. I was also told I would not need 4 dollar a gallon non ethanol fuel. Thanks for your replys.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I just got the pickup back from the dealer who said my throttle body was full of carbon and I had a clogged air filter. Because I drove the pickup long enough to need an oil change they would not warranty the work. Cost 165 for a new filter and to clean the throttle body. Pickup seems to take off much better. I hope that was the fix I was looking for. Had I taken it right back right away after purchase they would warrantied the work, I waited 3000 miles. They supposadly did a 101 point inspection before I bought it, so I didnt check the filter, they should have caught the air filter but such is life. I was also told I would not need 4 dollar a gallon non ethanol fuel. Thanks for your replys.
How does your truck drive now? That's bs that they didn't warranty it, but not an expensive fix either way.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Was this written in the contract that you had to bring it back in a certain amount of miles?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
FWIW, I have found that the pre-sale inspections on used vehicles done by both Toyota and Lexus dealers are just a bunch of crap. Engine and cabin filters are NOT replaced (regardless of mileage and dirt) and many other items that should be serviced/replaced are simply left as-is. Truly a save-a-nickel and have a disgruntled customer mentality.

We bought a used Lexus RX350 from a local Toyota dealer and I spent $40 replacing filthy filters. When I complained to the sales person about this, I actually received a check for $40 from them. I was amazed, but it doesn't change the fact that the dealer should have replaced the filters in the first place.

Related Content You Might Like: