• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Part's Truck Question

RustyS

I have a 1982 pickup that has been sitting on my property for almost 20 years. The engine had been overheated due to a bad radiator and hasn't run since. It's complete with 5-speed and 22r engine. It's banged up but not all rotted out (California car) suitable as a part's truck. I've been offered $400 for it. Decent price or am I getting the short end of the deal? Thanks.

Attachments

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
In my area (VA) that would be fair considering it's been sitting for 20 years. Could make a few more $$$'s by parting it out, but that would take valuable "labor" time.

RustyS

In my area (VA) that would be fair considering it's been sitting for 20 years. Could make a few more $$$'s by parting it out, but that would take valuable "labor" time.
Thanks Joe. My thoughts exactly. Too many other projects for me to take the time to pull parts and sell them separately

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Looks solid. $400 is a good project for someone. They could have it in the road in a few days

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I have a 1982 pickup that has been sitting on my property for almost 20 years. The engine had been overheated due to a bad radiator and hasn't run since. It's complete with 5-speed and 22r engine. It's banged up but not all rotted out (California car) suitable as a part's truck. I've been offered $400 for it. Decent price or am I getting the short end of the deal? Thanks.
20 years huh? The labor is what's going to get you. Why was it parked?

RustyS

20 years huh? The labor is what's going to get you. Why was it parked?
It was parked because my kid thought he could drive it 25 miles at 70 MPH on the freeway after the temp gauge was pegged at HOT due to a bad radiator.........in the middle of the summer. When it cooled, I went out and tried to start it......it wouldn't even turn over. As far as getting it "back on the road".........many years ago the kid was notified by the DMV that his inaction would incur some hefty penalties. So here it's sat. I seriously doubt it would be only "a couple of days and it will be back on the road". Gonna take a lot or work and a lot of money on parts and then all the DMV fees. Could it be done? Sure. Is it worth the effort and money? Not unless it's MUCH more valuable than I ever thought. That's why I posted the question.

Last edited:

jimmyjim

you could maybe get 300 just for the tranny, if you told the guy who was buying that part he could take the clutch with it. tell him you are giving him the special price for pulling the parts himself. not a burn in california, those transmissions go for that easy. and then sell it to a junk yard for 200 bills. they will part it out, and a load of guys will be in parts heaven for a week or two. win win win win all the way around.

Related Content You Might Like: