• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Overheated While Left Idling (2008 Highlander)

Mert

Vehicle was unintentionally left idling for three hours with the A/C at Max on a 90°F day. Temperature gauge was at 80%, engine light was blinking, traction light and VSC OFF was on, idle RPMs wasnt erratic but the needle not solidly in place like usual. It was driven away anyway from one location to another about 5 miles away with poor acceleration and transmission shifting.

Then it was turned off for 30 minutes and now everything is perfectly fine. So my questions are,
1.) What safeguards, if any, does the Highlander have to mitigate overheating? I have to assume they exist, but I'd like to know specifically what they are and the manual has no information, and Google has not been helpful.

2.) What all should I check to try and find if any damage did take place that may speed up wear to a component or otherwise cause problems later?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
No engine is designed to idle for 3 hours with the AC on, much less in 90 degree heat. Your AC gives off heat on the condenser core in front of the radiator, and this heat needs to be dissipated. Even with electric fans on, the heat will build up over a period of time if the vehicle is sitting still. As for a safety system, the E fans come on when the AC compressor is switched on. If the vehicle is running fine, there is not much you can check, short of having the ECM codes read, and this may or may not tell you anything short of the vehicle over headed. As long as there are no leaks, you should be fine. What happens when an engine over heats, is the aluminum parts of the engine tend to warp, or the gaskets loose there sealing capabilities, because of the expansion that happens when the engine over heats. As the engine cools, and things go back into place, they may not seal like they did before, but this is something that has an immediate effect, so if there is no issues now, there probability won't be.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The Highlander doesn't have any special safeguards for this type issue, its still running so total meltdown was avoided.
As a precautionary measure I would probably change engine oil, coolant, and trans fluid. Possibly change out the thermostat too.
A good look at hoses and a possible cooling pressure test and call it good.

Related Content You Might Like: