• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Overheated 83 Pickup... fix or replace engine?

jpierc53

My truck overheated about two months ago and I am looking at my options. There was fluid leaking out of the right side of the engine once it overheated and I guess its probably done for. Does anyone think it can be fixed? I have been looking at replacement options. I could either find a rebuilt engine which is looking like it would cost me a lot more than the price I paid for the truck in the first place or find a 22r that would work for my truck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Not sure how much money you have to spend.
I'd look at low mileage pull out engines, remember your not limited to just early model 22r engines, with a little more work you can use a later model 2.7.
If you dont want to adapt your truck to a late model electronic injection system you can modify the 2.7 to be carburated.
Rebuilding would depend on cost and if you cracked anything.

rickoshay45

The leak might just be a blown head gasket, pretty common for a really bad overheat. Just depends if the head is warped or not. If you're thinking about replacing it, tear it down and see how bad it is. Rebuilding it yourself is a whole lot cheaper than a new motor. unless you get a good deal on a used one.

ARMTDAWG586064

Getting in the game late here, but got a good deal on rebuilt engine from Oregon Engines.net and it was worth it, verse tearing down the engine and seeing what was all wrong with it. Just to do redo the head replacement would had cost more then the replacement engine has. Plus lifetime warranty-couldn't find that option from anyone else.

Related Content You Might Like: