• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Opinions On Replacing Aisin Carb With A Weber On A 22r?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I bought that very nice 1983 short bed 4x4 (with over 150K miles) about 6 weeks ago. It was originally sold in California and has tons of smog control junk added to the engine. I mean TONS! It runs very rich, gets really poor gas mileage and has a very hard time idling when cold. I have adjusted/tinkered with the Aisin carb (I have the factory shop manual) as much as I can without removing/rebuilding it, and the improvement(s) were minimal.

After reading a long thread on another forum about de-smogging a 22R, I really want to get rid of the Aisin carb AND all the smog junk as I live in an area where smog inspections are not required. I've contacted LCE and am interested in the Weber 32/36 conversion kit (with manual choke) they offer and some of the block-off plates for EGR, etc. Seems to be a good way to go, and while a bit expensive, I feel I could easily spend an equal amount on the Aisin carb and have to keep all the 35 year-old smog junk.

So, please give me your opinions on whether you think this conversion is a good idea or not. I know there are some Aisin carb advocates out there, and also some Weber advocates. If you don't like the Weber carb, please explain what's wrong with it. To me, it seems the Aisin carb is overly complicated because it has to work with all the smog control add-ons and I would really prefer a simple old truck that runs better and is easy to maintain. I've worked on Webers before (had a few Fiats back in the day) and while Webers may need some jet tuning, once they are working OK, they will do so indefinitely.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
That conversion has been around a long time, did it on my 86 Truck after leaving Ca. In 1990. It was a great improvement at the time.
The Aisin carb is typical Toyota/Japaneese, very close tolerances when new, as it wears there isnt enough adjustment available to adjust it where it needs to be, so a rebuild becomes essentially replacing the majority of parts to make it new again. This stuff works great new, but it doesn't like sloppy operations.
I'd say do the swap,

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I agree. After all, this truck is 35 years old. Who knows how well any of this stuff is still working. Obviously, the Aisin carb isn't doing well, and what about all that add-on junk?

I'll likely pull the trigger on the Weber once it warms up a bit. Still bitterly cold here on Colorado's Western Slope.

Related Content You Might Like: