• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Oil temperature warning light

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
It brings up a lot of questions. Is the oil level full? How often do you change your oil and filter? What oil are you using? What weight is that oil? How many miles are on the engine? Living in a hot climate like you do, you are going to want to run a thicker oil.

alansgarage

It brings up a lot of questions. Is the oil level full? How often do you change your oil and filter? What oil are you using? What weight is that oil? How many miles are on the engine? Living in a hot climate like you do, you are going to want to run a thicker oil.
The 1996 T100 has 188,000 miles and is new to me, although I did a complete tune up and service on it including oil and filter change. Because we are heading into winter with morning temps from 28 degrees to daytime highs of 70 degrees I stayed with 10/30 synthetic. I has not used oil. I was thinking that the oil temperature light might be for the auto trans? If it is for the engine oil I appreciate the confirmation as I didn't get an owner's manual with it.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Not sure about an oil temp light. And without a true oil pressure gauge, it's hard to say exactly what the oil pressure is. This may be a good time to look into adding a decent aftermarket oil pressure gauge. If it's oil temp, then it very well could be a trans temp gauge. It's been a long time since I fooled with a T-100 at all, and that was my brother's truck. My 4 Runner, I just run a conversation oil, and that seems to be just fine. My Chevy, I run a high mileage 10-40 blend. My 97 Chevy has 257,000 miles. For the last few oil changes, I have added a container of STP. It is a viscosifer and I see better oil pressure with it.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Just thinking out loud: Fluids topped off correctly. Engine oil temp or transmission light? It's possible your model truck may have a engine oil and/or radiator oil cooler on or under the radiator? If so, make sure the oil cooler and lines are not clogged up with trash and/or dirt.

Related Content You Might Like: