• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

No Crank, No Start

dlhurd

I have a 2007 Limited 4runner with the 4.0 V6 that is giving me fits.
I recently replaced the 9 year old battery with a new one.
Had no issues with the truck after that for a week.
Noticed then that the rear wiper was not working. Checked all the fuses.
Then found that the rear window was down just an inch or so. Put the window up and wiper was working fine.
Got back in the truck to start it and now it does nothing. I have power to everything. But, turn the key and nothing. No noises, no clicking, nada! Just like that it quit starting. Jumpered from the battery to the starter solenoid and the starter works fine. Jumpered the STA relay in the underhood fuse box and the starter worked. I have meter checked all fuses that apply.
Swapped out the STA relay with a new one as well as both STA fuses and no change.
Tried starting it in neutral and park and shifting it around with no luck so pretty sure it is not the neutral safety switch issue.
Note: The security system indicator lamp on the dash is not flashing. Pretty sure it used to flash. Makes me think the engine immobilizer may have kicked in somehow and shut the engine down. But if I understand that system correctly the engine should still spin over but not start. Instead of the engine just not spinning over at all. Is this correct?
What the hell is going on here? I have been a mechanic for 40 years and never run into anything like this. Have talked to two 30 year Toyota mechanics and am still not getting it fixed. Very frustrated and disappointed in my 4runner. I am a loyal Toyota driver. Never had any issues like this with them.
Can anyone help me? I have gone thru all the threads on this site as well as other sites and so far nothing is helping. It cant be this difficult. I must be missing something simple.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Something like a short may have caused the window issue, etc. Are any codes being thrown?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Sounds like it might be related to the toyota theft deterrent system. I found as video on the highlander. Let me keep looking. It talked about deactivating the ignition.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Sounds like it's the engine immobilizer system after changing the battery.

try this ... Disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it like that for 30 minutes. This will reset every thing and give you a baseline.

Next step is to take it to a dealer. It's very likely a sensor reading the chip in your key. That's the cheap way to fix it. If it's on the other side of the ecu it's a lot more money.

dlhurd

When I said the obdii reader would not connect I meant that once I plugged it into the port it would not read the data. It will not connect electronically to the car.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
When I said the obdii reader would not connect I meant that once I plugged it into the port it would not read the data. It will not connect electronically to the car.
Ok, that hints that it's the immobilizer instead of anything else. Very likely killed access to the engine control module and that includes access to the obd ii port and information into the engine.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's great news. Wow. Now what caused the fuse to fail? I always think about the initial cause of the power surge that caused the problem in the first place. Any thoughts on this?

toyotasrule

100 Posts
Then found that the rear window was down just an inch or so. Put the window up and wiper was working fine.
Got back in the truck to start it and now it does nothing. I have power to everything. But, turn the key and nothing. No noises, no clicking, nada! Just like that it quit starting. Jumpered from the battery to the starter solenoid and the starter works fine. Jumpered the STA relay in the underhood fuse box and the starter worked. I have meter checked all fuses that apply.
Swapped out the STA relay with a new one as well as both STA fuses and no change.
Tried starting it in neutral and park and shifting it around with no luck so pretty sure it is not the neutral safety switch issue.
Note: The security system indicator lamp on the dash is not flashing. Pretty sure it used to flash. Makes me think the engine immobilizer may have kicked in somehow and shut the engine down. But if I understand that system correctly the engine should still spin over but not start. Instead of the engine just not spinning over at all. Is this correct?
What the hell is going on here? I have been a mechanic for 40 years and never run into anything like this. Have talked to two 30 year Toyota mechanics and am still not getting it fixed. Very frustrated and disappointed in my 4runner. I am a loyal Toyota driver. Never had any issues like this with them.
Can anyone help me? I have gone thru all the threads on this site as well as other sites and so far nothing is helping. It cant be this difficult. I must be missing something simple.
How did you manage to keep your battery for 9 years? That's amazing to me @dlhurd

F150

starter replacement Amazon.com: DB Electrical SND0491 Starter Compatible With/Replacement For Toyota Tacoma & Tundra 4.0L 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 & 4Runner 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 FJ Cruiser 2007 2008 2009: Automotive

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Change your battery cables. Cables wear out after ten years.
Grate you are replying, but this is a 5 year old thread. Look just under the posters avatar. That is the time stamp on when the thread was posted. Welcome to the forum.

Related Content You Might Like: