• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Next generation of Tundra and Tacoma to share same platform

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Did you see this story? The next generation of the Tundra and Tacoma are going to be built on The same platform.

So that means the mid-size Toyota Tacoma and full-size Toyota Tundra will reportedly exist on shared basics, according to an Automotive News report earlier this week.

The report cited anonymous sources familiar with Toyota's next-generation pickups that claim the new platform, internally called F1, will underpin every truck next decade. That includes the Toyota Hilux, which is sold globally. The strategy would mimic Toyota's approach to passenger cars and crossovers, which increasingly share the Toyota New Global Architecture platform, commonly referred to as TGNA. The platform allows the automaker to build multiple vehicles on one architecture and share crucial components

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Steve: Please delete my duplicate post on this topic. Apparently I don't know how to delete my own thread. Duh.

Here's a link:
Next-gen Toyota Tacoma, Tundra to share a frame? - LeftLaneNews

Anyway, My opinion is that I don't care for the idea. I can't wrap my head around the idea of a big truck and a mid-size truck being built on the same platform without both trucks somehow suffering a reduction of capabilities. However, Toyota has done other things that have seemed odd or unlikely in the past--maybe it will be OK? Supposedly the new 2020 or 2021 Tundra will be built on this platform.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm actually trying to figure out how they could build the two very different size trucks on the same platform.

How can the frame be the same? How can the width be the same? I get the fact that there is a lot of pieces that could be universally used such as brake cables, electronics and things like that but the chassis is essentially not the same, how could they make it the same platform?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Perhaps you and I are taking the term "platform" too literally. A poster on another forum stated that "platform sharing" at Toyota didn't apply to body-on-frame vehicles, but who knows for sure? Maybe Toyota is referring to sharing as many components as possible between the two trucks. Anyway, I forsee that IF Toyota tries to build two totally different trucks from the same platform (frame & drivetrain), bad things will happen. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. However, I would buy a V8 powered Tacoma in a New York minute.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
They're overdue for the new Tundra. Yeah it's great to have that much extra power, but the fuel economy is going to be a liability for sure. Need to work on the interconnectivity between mobile devices and more for sure.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Updates on the next generation Tacoma and Tundra coming soon.

Related Content You Might Like: