• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New To Me: 1983 4x4 Short Bed Pickup

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Last week we bought a 1983 4x4 cuz we were looking for an older 4x4 truck (mostly a Ford), and VERY few were showing up on Craig's List or FB. Even fewer older Toyotas, especially 4x4s--maybe 3 real junkers in the last 2 years. Anyway, this truck showed up on Craig's List and I delayed a bit as it was located in Telluride--about 2.5 hours away. When I finally called, the asking price had been lowered from $7500 to $6000--a good omen. In addition, the owner send me a receipt for almost $4000 of work that he had done to the truck in the last year. Mostly engine work & a new clutch. Showing 128K on the odo, but it's broken. Owner estimated about 150K miles on the truck, and that looks about right. Color is a pale yellow with a brown & tan interior. It's a deluxe, not an SR5.

After driving down to see it & drive it, we struck a deal for $5700. Now that may seem steep to some, but this truck is really in nice shape. Spend most of the last 35 years in southern California, so minimal rust & rot, but there's a little on the bed (big surprise).
171217 1983 Toyota 4x4 truck.jpg
Interior isn't too bad, but that PITA (literally) bench seat has got to go. Most of that California smog junk on the engine has to go too, and I'll install a Weber 32/36 instead of the Aisin carb. After 35 years, most of that junk probably doesn't work as intended any more. We have no vehicle/smog inspections here, and it's already registered as a "Collectors Vehicle".

The truck is at my favorite suspension shop at the moment, getting the steering and suspension blessed as OK. So no photos except for one from Craig's List.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
In running shape those trucks are getting hard to find. Congrats on the new toy

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Great truck. Not too steep considering the amount of recent work.
I drove it home from Telluride and it ran pretty good on the highway. The original Aisin carb is in dire need of help or replacement, and the steering/suspension needs help too. Still, not bad for 35 years old!

UPDATE: My suspension shop says: 1) new front wheel bearings, 2) new shocks, 3) Major repair to the drag link, and 4) new sway bar end kits. Yikes!

Last edited:

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Not much to make it roadworthy. Suspension and brakes service pretty common in need of attention on any vehicle.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I could have done a bunch of that work myself, but it's a dirty, greasy job, and my garage is very cold this time of the year, including the floor. Time to just write a check.

Agree that the truck really didn't need TOO much work underneath, but then I expected that after 35 years, it was going to need something. I have already noticed that a bunch of the rubber components are all dried out, cracked, and deteriorating, some of which may need attention down the road.

Related Content You Might Like: