• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New Owner - Quick Question On Plugs

Richard Kaup

Hello to all -
Just picked up an '01 Tacoma base (I think) 4 cylinder & wanted to put new plugs into it (did oil change & new battery posts) other than that, it's pretty nice & clean. Will NGK BKR5ES-11 copper plugs fit the bill, or should I go w/platinum or iridium plugs - it'll be a daily commuter, fyi. Thanks, and sppreciate any helpful feedback!

(it also needed a new tailgate handle, easy fix tho)

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
X2 on tibado. I had a Nissan king cad about 18 years ago. NGK copper plugs are the only plugs that the truck would run on. I tired platinum plung, no go, and regular plugs wouldn't make a week. There were no irdium plugs back then, but I dought they would have worked ether. ONLY NGK copper plugs, nothing eles would work.

Richard Kaup

Found out thru dealer that, yes, it's a 2.4L & (surprise) it already has iridium (or platinum) plugs from not too long ago, so just left them in for the time being. It should make it through the upcoming winter, now - the front cat/02 sensor replacement is my main concern, besides finding someone to do frame re- enforcement to it.

Oh, btw, plan on these to delete OE hood prop. They have worked great in my old 91 CRX

Password:JDM Hood Damper (DC5 02-06 RSX) | Password JDM

Last edited:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Toyota engines are extremely particular about plugs, the 2.4 of that era takes an NGK Irridium. A 3.4 has 2 different type plugs from the factory, back 2 cylinders are different from the front 4 weirdest freaking thing I've ever seen on an engine.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Burnt up Bosch plugs twice in short period in my '95 4Runner and always the same cylinder,,switched to NGK copper and no more issues

Related Content You Might Like: