• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

New memeber needs a hand

Hi. New guy here.

Ihave a 96 tacoma LX with the 3.4L. I have a PO300 code. Its gave misfire for all cylinders except #3. It has a rough idle, bogs down when on throttle, poor gas mileage, spits and sputters, and back fires. I can also smell gas but can find no evidence of leaking. I've heard the pulgs and wires should only be ngk or nippo's. I've only pulled two plugs at this time but the color looks good with no fouling.
I've removed and cleaned the maf with no improvement. Where to go next?

Thanks in advance, Curt

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What about the coil and wires? They look ok? You might want to pull all of the plugs and have a look, it only takes one.

Bought plugs today.will replace tomorrow. I used my timing light today to check for spark and found weak intermittent spark coming from the wire on the rear (#6?) Coil pack.

wires look old. I'll go ahead and replace those too.
Is there a test for the coil packs?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Check the ground on that #6 coil pack not uncommon to have those symptoms with a bad coil ground.

- - - Updated - - -

You know these trucks come factory with different mfgr plugs in the left and right banks Densos one side NGK the other they run best that way dont remember which side was which though.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Not sure why. Never heard an explanation from the dealer techs. I had performance issues after doing my first tune years ago when my truck was stll relatively new a tech/ friend told me about the plug issue so I took the Split fires Id put in back out and traded for the NGK/Denso combo and the trucks run great since then as long as I keep that combo.

Wow. Thanks for the info. The plugs in it now are champions. I knew that was wrong when I saw them.

- - - Updated - - -

Success. the plugs and wires did it. She runs great again. Thanks guys for the help.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the info. The plugs in it now are champions. I knew that was wrong when I saw them.

- - - Updated - - -

Success. the plugs and wires did it. She runs great again. Thanks guys for the help.
That's great, it's nice to have such an easy fix to get her running great again! :) Post some pics up when you get a chance.

Related Content You Might Like: