• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

need help with spare-tire carrier replacement,someone cut cable + needed my spare more than me,darn

T-100 DX

1996, T-100 DX,
got a used spare tire carrier from ebay. Looks like fairly easy replacement. But I noticed, that two of the four bolts (the ones facing towards cab) can not be removed, because the trucks bed won't allow. I must be missing something here, right? Or d you end up with having to take the carrier (on truck )apart, and exchange only the inner parts ( cable,etc.)?

Your help is very much appreciated. Can not find anything in repair manual or internet.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
It's quite likely that the spare tire carrier was installed on the bed BEFORE the bed was installed on the truck. If that's the case, then you may have to remove the bed entirely so you can fix/replace the carrier. See if you can locate a Toyota shop manual to verify. Maybe you can just remove the bed bolts and jack up the bed enough to allow access to those bolts?

T-100 DX

Thanks for the info. Initially I wasn't thinking access from the top, as you can get the tow bolts facing rear can be removed from underneath the truck. I wanted to check, has to remove the bed liner and was hoping to find little cut out holes to access from top with socket. Of course not. Hence I second the thought, at least the two bolts were installed before bed. Kind of silly engineering, don't you think.
I could only come up with this options, drill through bed from top,but I would also have to go through cross frame member. I don't think there would be much structural loss as the holes would be only 18mm to get he 12mm socket through.
Can't get enough access with grinder and cutoff blades to remove the whole mechanism. I can see that one fo the blt heads is partially stripped,which will complicate things as well.
Have you taken the mechanism apart. Very simple and clever. Only thing I could not figure out where tone of the attachment points for spring is. One is obvious , on the disc with teeth, but where is the other one? Anyone know? Please share.
I will call Toyota, maybe they can give me hint.

Bruder_Buck

@T-100 DX: Did you solve the problem meanwhile? I have the same problem. The spare tire carrier is rosted on mine. I want do dismantel it an change the system. But now I read about not having access to some bolts, if doing so.... Maybe you made pictures?

Related Content You Might Like: