• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Need bodywork advice re repairing a totaled 2003 regular cab

Glenn

The truck has under 60k miles and I think it's worth repairing.

It was stopped at a light, hit from the rear on the driver's side, and pushed into the vehicle in front of it, again damaging the driver's side.

Looking under the truck at the frame, I can't see any damage on the frame.

The truck can't be driven due to the front bumper and driver's side fender interfering with the tire. Also, the driver's side of the radiator was pushed back into the fan (not badly though), the radiator appears to be intact.

Are there any experts out there who could give me some advice on a do-it-yourself repair whereby I pull out the damaged parts using either a come-along or gently pulling out the damaged areas using a chain or tow rope attached to another truck?

Any advice or better ideas would be greatly appreciated. I want to do the work myself to keep it low budget and don't really care if it's not even close to perfect. From what I can see, I think it will be relatively easy to get it road worthy. To me it appears that the mechanical damage is minimal, mainly it is body damage.

The driver's side headlight is facing down toward the ground. Also, the tailight is shattered, would it be ok to just replace it with a couple of round generic lights in order to make it street legal? I'm guessing that even used from the junk yard the lights would be expensive.

If I'm posting in the wrong forum or if there is a better site on the web for my question, please let me know.

I'm out of a job right now, so I have more time than money. Thanks in advance for your help. Toyotas are great.

IMG_0824.JPGIMG_0826.JPGIMG_0827.JPGIMG_0828.JPGIMG_0829.JPGIMG_0820.JPGIMG_0822.JPGIMG_0823.JPG

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Cut away excess metal to allow the wheel un restricted turn and rotation up front and in back. Hook the front bumper mount to a strong post put yhe truck in neutral and hand push it back to pull the mount out. You dont need a lot of force and to much will do more harm than good possbly injuring someone. Use a good strap across the hood to ensure it stays closed the radiator support is bent and the hood latch is compromised.
For the rear light dont cut the wires that only makes correct permanent repaires harder later on. Hollow out an old trailet light and put your light sockets in it then use sheet metal screws to mount it on the bed side.

For petmanent repair youll need new bed bumper bumper brackets tailgate...upfront new left fender hood grill valance bumper bumper brackets turn signal inner fender and im sure a few more parts.

Glenn

Thanks for the advice TB, especially about "pushing it back" by hand in order not to exert excessive force.

Anyone else have any experience or recommendations?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
What state were you hit in? Did the driver not have insurance? I've done this in the past myself when I had to, but i have never been pleased with it as when it was fixed by a pro. I don't know the circumstances, so I'm just offering my input on this.

Otherwise, you're going to need some pretty heavy-duty equipment to get this all straight again, not to mention that your local law enforcement agency might consider that to not be safe ... again, not sure where you're located at.

Glenn

Located in Arizona.

The situation is that my friend is thinking about selling it or parting it out. He was hit from the rear and the insurance totaled the vehicle. he has it, but its been sitting in his yard for 6 months. I had an 89 base truck with a 22r engine that was great, wish I hadn't sold it to a buddy.

I looked at the Tacoma's frame and it seems to be ok, no visible sign of being bent. I realize that doesn't guarantee anything, but I think I could make it "roadable" again and, if not, part it out with him later. Hate to part out a truck that could be on the street again.

From what you see in the pics, is there something might make it unsafe?

I would plan to eventually get new bumpers. Meanwhile I would straighten it out as best as possible, install a new taillight system on the driver's side, and permanently position the driver's headlight so it illuminates the road ahead according to specs. I wouldn't drive it if it was mechanically unsafe, but frankly I don't care if it looks a bit like hell. Too old to impress the ladies now anyway, : .)

BTW, in the part of AZ where I live there is no annual inspection or emissions testing. That could always change in the years ahead, but i would worry about that problem later.

Thanks for your help Muddy, and let me know if my response made sense.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I think he's getting at something like that some states have different rules for "completeness", that's the best that I can remember what the term is called. I got pulled over once in a late 70's Ford F-100 pickup (owned by my boss) about 15 years ago that had a custom rear-bumper made of steel-reinforced wood. This was a landscaping truck and the bumper had a purpose, but they didn't like it as it was out of spec on a few things like height and construction quality ... if you can believe that.

That was Washington state, and they're strict up there, but other states may have similar laws. ????

Glenn

That is interesting. Thank you

During the mid-80s I worked at a car dealership in Texas. At that time, many trucks were sold from the factory without a rear bumper, believe it or not...(I guess it was due to being able to sell these vehicles as cheaply as possible).

So I guess some States require a 'factory' type bumper while others don't.

Having said that, if I

1) straighten out the bumpers (or buy used ones as replacements)
2) straighten the sheet metal, the front left bumper and rear left part of the bed (or even replace the bed with a used unit)
3) replace the left rear taillight with a trailer type light until I can find a used replacement unit.
4) make sure the front left headlight is fixed solid and aimed within specifications

Shouldn't I be ok in most States? I live in Arizona, if anyone from that State has any info.

thanks

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
yeah, I'm not sure on the laws for your state, you probably can do a search for Arizona motor vehicle inspection criteria, something like that.

For equipment on vehicles - all states are mostly the same, but there are some difference. Some major examples include requiring a front license plate or the level of tint that you are allowed to have on your windows. Bumper height and quality I guess are included in that, but if you get her straightened up you can probably get it registered. I just know if I wouldn't put my family in something that I rigged up, I'd want someone who knew what they were doing to get it all straight.

Glenn

Thank you for the response.

I agree, I would not want to be in an unsafe vehicle, but from what I can see it's mainly sheetmetal damage. I may be wrong, but I've looked at it several times now. Still haven't bought it, but pretty sure I will soon. The frame looks good and only the radiator was pushed back some from what I can tell. But only time will tell once I buy it.

Can anyone verify that a bed box from a 1995 - 2004 Tacoma will be a direct bolt on for this 2003 tacoma?

I believe some of the beds are different lengths, but assuming that its the correct length which in this case looks to be approximately 6 foot.

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside, when I was a kid my dad used to buy wrecked vehicles and fix them and drive them, and usually it all worked out very well. He would fix vehicles that were in worse condition than this one. I wish he was here to help, but he died years ago.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yes 95 to 04 bed will fiit given its the the same length bed.
And 95 to 04 frnt clp will work if you use the full clip bumper fenders hood grill and valence.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
are you about to jump on this project? Let us know and post pictures of you get some. This actually looks like to be pretty cool.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts

It was stopped at a light, hit from the rear on the driver's side, and pushed into the vehicle in front of it, again damaging the driver's side.

The truck can't be driven due to the front bumper and driver's side fender interfering with the tire. Also, the driver's side of the radiator was pushed back into the fan (not badly though), the radiator appears to be intact.

Are there any experts out there who could give me some advice on a do-it-yourself repair whereby I pull out the damaged parts using either a come-along or gently pulling out the damaged areas using a chain or tow rope attached to another truck?

Any advice or better ideas would be greatly appreciated. I want to do the work myself to keep it low budget and don't really care if it's not even close to perfect. From what I can see, I think it will be relatively easy to get it road worthy. To me it appears that the mechanical damage is minimal, mainly it is body damage.

The driver's side headlight is facing down toward the ground. Also, the tailight is shattered, would it be ok to just replace it with a couple of round generic lights in order to make it street legal? I'm guessing that even used from the junk yard the lights would be expensive.

If I'm posting in the wrong forum or if there is a better site on the web for my question, please let me know.

I'm out of a job right now, so I have more time than money. Thanks in advance for your help. Toyotas are great.

View attachment 1118View attachment 1119View attachment 1120View attachment 1121View attachment 1122View attachment 1123View attachment 1124View attachment 1125

What happen to your truck? this may take time to repair, sometimes it hard to find parts with those parts that need to be replaced.. Do you have insurance for truck?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 1118View attachment 1119View attachment 1120View attachment 1121View attachment 1122View attachment 1123View attachment 1124View attachment 1125

What happen to your truck? this may take time to repair, sometimes it hard to find parts with those parts that need to be replaced.. Do you have insurance for truck?

Glenn

I'll keep you posted on the progress and try to post pics. I have insurance, but just a high level liability coverage. My plan is to make it safe for as low cost as possible.

Glenn

Update

Registration cost $70 and I have a clear title. The other good news is that my Mexican friend took a bunch of photos of the front and rear of the truck and showed them to his body man in Mexico. $550 to do the body work and paint it. All I need to do is provide the parts (used if I can get them or may Rockauto)...any suggestions on where to get cheap parts would be good. There is a U Pull IT junkyard about an hours drive away and their online pricelist looks very reasonable.

I bought the truck for $600 bucks, so I think I'm in it for a reasonable price. I think I can get it looking pretty good for 1500-$2000 total price.

I'll try to remember to post some pics later

thanks for all the help on this list

Last edited:

Glenn

Got the truck back from the body repair man. After he saw the bed in person (not just a pic), he said it would be cheaper for me to find a used one Still need to find a bed, tailgate and tail light, but the front looks great, especially considering it cost approx $600 to repair, including parts.
IMG_0913.JPGIMG_0915.JPGIMG_0916.JPG
in case anyone else lives near the border in CA or AZ, this is where I got my parts. Very reasonable

http://partsfitauto.com/contact.html

here are some pics

Related Content You Might Like: