• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Need a Toyota Truck, Large Cab, or SUV to tow a RV Trailer

jmrec100

Looked at a 2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4.6L . Don't think its capable to tow a RV TT approx 30ft. I need a large Cab or SUV for my dogs. And want a truck to be able to tow a RV trailer and unhitch to go off with out the trailer. Any suggestions. What is the tow capacity of the SR5, The Tacoma, Tundra etc. Any suggestions?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What's the trailer weight overall? That's an important question. I'll grab the towing info and will post here later today.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Aside from the trailer weight and towing ability that Steve will address, here's some other details that may interest you: 1) the Tundra with the 5.7L V8 will do MUCH better at towing than the 4.6L 2) The Crew Cab is substantially larger and easier to get in-and-out of than the DC. 3) Several Tundra models come with the towing package and trailer braking system built-in.

My neighbor has a newish 1 ton Dodge pickup that he tows with constantly. Nice interior, but it rides as if it has no suspension at all. Long(er) highway drives are brutal--I would never own something that rides so poorly. Yes, I know that the suspension has to be sturdy to be rated a 1 ton, but that truck is not meant for any type of leisure/pleasure driving.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looks like the 4.6L double cab (I assume 2WD?) can go up to about 6,800 lbs. If you're 4WD you go down a little bit, but an Tundra for 2015 can tow at least 6,300 lbs.

With a 30-ft travel trailer, fully loaded, heavy with slides and gear, you're very likely going to be close to that, but under it. The 6,800 lb mark is what I think you're probably going to be coming in at.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
As you can see, the different manufacturers are all over the place for weight. The "cheaper" the unit, it's more likely to be heavy, built with aluminun sheeting and wood framing. The lite units are going to be lighter in weight but built from heavier components, framing and sheeting.

Related Content You Might Like: