• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

My 84 22R is an 83?? Say Whaaaatt?

So I pulled my 22R for truck renovation from my 1984 Toy Pickup SR5....Send My Tranny to the rebuild and the Trans shop calls me and says the parts they ordered for my 1984 Tranny are not fitting and they ask me If Im sure it an 84..?? Well according to the title and registration its an 84, so Im telling them to decipher the code stamped on the tranny and then they can tell me... anyways Im tearin into the engine and I notice the Timeing chain is a double row type????WTH??? I Thought in 84 they switched to the single row with plastic??? Didnt they??? The production date on vehicle was OCT 1983...doesnt that make it an 84???? I guess Ill have to measure the block heigth as they changed that in 84 as well...Im just confused now>

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Any work done on this before? What are the chances it was replaced?

October 1983 should definitely be an 84.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Your truck is an SR5, which means it was assembled/mfgrd at the Fremont Ca. plant.
The assembly/mfgr issue is important, why?
Because if it had been a non-SR5 truck it wouldve been mfgrd in Japan and assembled in Fremont Ca. with parts mfgrd at the same plant in Japan. It wouldve come to the U.S. as a cab/chassis with engine and had the bed bolted on along with finishing details like interior at the Fremont plant.
As an SR5 the engine, trans, t-case, axles, and frame came to the U.S. months before the mfgr/assembly and the sheet metal was stamped and attached to the frame at the fremont plant.
In otherwords the drivetrain was assembled in Japan possibly as much as 9 months before final assembly in Fremont in Oct 83.
Drivetrain changes were made after the chassis was shipped but the early year chassis were still considered to be 84.
Toyota, like many mfgrs, depleted their stock of early drivetrain components in late 83 and early 84. This rarely presents a problem as the drivetrains for 83 and 84 trucks were interchangeable even though the bodies were so different.
Also remember America is one of the few countries that recognizes model year changes in the fall, most countries recognize the change in January. Toyota was building trucks in Kobe Japan that were shipped all over the world.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The block height change you noted was on 22r engines.
22r the carbirated version had a set height, when injectors were incorporated they had to lift the block for valvetrain and injector clearance issues. In order to maintain simplified production lines the 22r recieved this change for 84 model year, along with a compression change.

Related Content You Might Like: