• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Mower, & Lawn Equipment Thread

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
20160621_142839.jpg
20160609_103335.jpg
20160609_103358.jpg
My push mower has a Honda engine. It died on me last year. I had a pressure washer that the pump was bad on. After looking at the two engines, I relised that they were the same, except one was horizontal shaft, and the other was vertical shaft. I took the two apart, and made one good engine from the two.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Yea my Mom's neighbor gave me one hell of a deal. He bought a ZTR. I bought the Snapper last summer. I looked for a long time for one in good shape. My brother who lives across the street told me that the reason Mom's neighbor sold the mower, was to up grade, and he got tired of replacing the clutch. Its a rubber friction disc. I simply moved the ingauge mechanism up so that the disc makes better contact with the metal disc on the engine .there was a few little things that need to be done to the mower that was no issue for me, but for someone who is not that mechanical minded it was impossible. The oil in the engine was so clear that I almost could not see it on the dip stick
20160709_113203.jpg

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
View attachment 5600 View attachment 5601 View attachment 5602 My push mower has a Honda engine. It died on me last year. I had a pressure washer that the pump was bad on. After looking at the two engines, I relised that they were the same, except one was horizontal shaft, and the other was vertical shaft. I took the two apart, and made one good engine from the two.
Did you have to get a kit to turn the vertical into horizontal? I'm thinking of using the old lawn mower as potentially a go-kart engine for a project. But it's the same problem horizontal versus vertical.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
No, I didn't need a kit, but I had both engines to use as parts. I had to split the case of both mowers, and swap the lower vertical shaft crank, and swap that into the horizontal top half. So the piston, and cylinder are from the horizontal (pressure washer ) and the bottom half, with the crankshaft is from the mower. Also the carb setup is from the mower. It will depend on what engine you have. There are some videos on you tube that tell you how to swap from vertical to horizontal and vice versa. I found a video on the Honda engine on there. It was a big help

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
The piston and cylinder on the mower was woren out, but the crank looked good. The pressure washer engine was still running good, but the pump was shot. I was going to just buy new push mower. I thought one day, to look at the mower, and pressure washer to see if I could make a good mower from the two. I was in luck, they bpth had the same engines, just one was horizontal and the other was vertical. Sense I am no longer working offshore, and I make less that 1/2 as much money as I did out there, I try to stretch my money as far as I can. We are making it, but its tight. Before I didn't think anything about spending $1000, now I hate to spend $100.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
One of the challenges people with older Lawn Equipment, or any small engine tools that are gasoline powered is that fuel coming from most gas stations in the United States certainly in Texas and most of the major counties has 10% ethanol mixed into the gasoline. As we know this makes the new next year very tough on the older and smaller fuel lines in these gas powered tools. I just heard on the radio a few weeks ago that they are considering 20% ethanol for the major counties throughout Texas, and maybe four other parts of the country. If there's so many of the older vehicles failed because of the 10%, and from personal experience my best yard equipment that should have lasted 50 years died the first year we started getting ethanol all the time, makes me wonder how many of these newer machines are going to fail at 20% ethanol then what 30%? So a bunch of farmers can sell their extra corn?

carton33

I desperately want a lawn mower that you can ride like a car. Never had one of those, I'm dying to try one out, haha :D

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The MIGHTY SS16.. pretty handy for a few things and the purple SS12 I got at scrapyard for $70. Not sure why it was there other than ignition wires were crossed. Turned ignition to off position and turned key and it fired up so I painted it

fullsizeoutput_18c.jpeg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The MIGHTY SS16.. pretty handy for a few things and the purple SS12 I got at scrapyard for $70. Not sure why it was there other than ignition wires were crossed. Turned ignition to off position and turned key and it fired up so I painted it

View attachment 5647
Wow. That's like a mini tractor. I have about .25 acres so that would cut it in about 5 minutes. Very nice. How does it run?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader

View attachment 5647

That's back when they made things right! Why can't I run across some good deals like that??

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
How does it handle ethanol?
We don't have ethanol in my neck of the woods. The SS16 also has snowblower unit and it was a package deal from original owner with manuals. These were a working machine with 42 different attachments available. Chipper, loader, plough, etc 16 hp Onan 2 cylinder engine. Tractor weighs 650 lbs. The SS12 has a 12hp Tecumseh and runs excellent as well. I think it landed at scrapyard from a estate as it had no battery, hood had been butchered and looked neglected. I had bought it just for the chrome hubcaps and wheel weights that were on it. Bonus when it fired up and transmission etc all good!
I have 1/2 acre in the city and reel mower(no engine) was getting a bit much as cutting was required twice a week at times.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
We don't have ethanol in my neck of the woods. The SS16 also has snowblower unit and it was a package deal from original owner with manuals. These were a working machine with 42 different attachments available. Chipper, loader, plough, etc 16 hp Onan 2 cylinder engine. Tractor weighs 650 lbs. The SS12 has a 12hp Tecumseh and runs excellent as well. I think it landed at scrapyard from a estate as it had no battery, hood had been butchered and looked neglected. I had bought it just for the chrome hubcaps and wheel weights that were on it. Bonus when it fired up and transmission etc all good!
I have 1/2 acre in the city and reel mower(no engine) was getting a bit much as cutting was required twice a week at times.
How many attachments did you get with it and if not many, we're you able to track any down?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm going to try to get a new set of fuel lines for my craftsman hard-blade edger.

Not this model, but similar concept. Ethanol ate up the fuel lines I'm pretty sure.

Related Content You Might Like: