• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Lost in the Sauce...22R

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea to tack on to what Jazz says, when you change the trans fluid look at RedLine Synthetic, I' ve had great results on older Toyota car and truck trans with this brand fluid.
Most Toyota 5spds are known for a little grinding in/out of first when its cold outside, the vehicle has to be really warm before the issue goes away, with redline I dont suffer the issue at all on my older, newr, and rebuilt transmissions.

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
I got the shifter off. I don't know if I'm supposed to go any further than this. The plate in the photos, that has the bolts in it, that has slop in it. It wiggles a good 1/8" just by holding it with my fingers. The bolts were plenty tight, with lock-tite on them, but the plate was still able to move a good bit. Exactly HOW supple is the rubber thing supposed to be? Mine isn't stiff, but you can see that it has a buckle in it, from where something's been up against it from the inside. What do you folks think about what I saw?

I'm not sure how to upload a photo straight to a post...here are links to the photos on photobucket.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z41/coffee_brake/CIMG4371_zpsdf11e709.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z41/coffee_brake/CIMG4372_zps3a78e29a.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z41/coffee_brake/CIMG4373_zps4c879245.jpg

coffee_brake

TTC Chicks
I'm really over a barrel here. I put in a new seat, new teflon bushing. Still popping out of fifth gear. Don't know what to do next.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I guess you decide ultimately when to say enough. Me,,, I would not be so concerned with the truck jumping out of gear,,but that's me. I would be on the hunt for a used transmission,,they can't be worth more than a couple hundred dollars, compare that to the price of another used vehicle that may well need all the repairs completed that you have just gone through on your truck. I don't know if you got burned as I don't know how the seller presented the truck to you, My favourite description of a used vehicle is "running when parked" which is when I come back with " so was the Titanic" JMHO Best of luck with your next vehicle

jimmyjim

the shift housing has the rubber gasket under it. but the metal spacers that should be placed in the oversized holes of the gasket over the bolt holes are missing. that is why the cover is loose. maybe they are on the bolts like washers?
as for the rear brakes, when you pulled off the left drum, if it came off easy its because the shoes were not adjusted correctly. they should ride pretty close to the drum. there is a wheel on an adjustment thinggy toward the upper inside part of the shoes. you have to turn it from a little window on the inside part of the cover. its not easy to adjust. but when the shoes dont make contact with the drum, little or no fluid will come out when you bleed the brakes. you must have adjusted that to make it work, or you put it back together wrong?
the starting problem could be the wire that runs from the igniter/coil to the magnetic pickup in the distributor. engine heat can make it brittle, it can crack or break. it can still work, just not very well. if you wiggle that wire and it either starts right up or wont start at all, try cutting it and splicing in new wires the same length. you done good so far, you have sweat equity, and you learned a lot. these are all typical toyota down the road problems. keep after it. its like the last turn in the quarter mile foot race. be proud of all you have done so far, this is a great truck and you have almost got there.
water pump, starter, timing chain, alternator, coolant hoses, ujoints, air cleaner, and a few other small jobs over the next few years.
put some wd40 or 3in1 oil on the tailgate latches. there is a panel on the top inside surface of the tailgate that comes off. check in there. check to see if the strike plates for the latches line up with the latch pins.

jimmyjim

one more thing, you can make a crank for the spare tire hoist out of rebar. lots of times, if you soak that thing with wd40 three or 4 days in a row, and wiggle it with the crank, and bang on it with a hammer, you can get it to work. good idea to do that once a year. but i have seen folks take a tire rack off a jeep and bolt the spare on the tailgate. even saw one with the spare mounted on top of the cab. depending how much you paid for the truck kn the first place, you might want to finish what you started. name her broughtback? ps, how many miles on her? the timing chain usually starts to go around 175,000 miles. it can be a dirty job to replace, but contrary to what the utube guys say, you do not have to remove the head to do it. cost 300 bucks to do it yerself, 900 to have it done. takes about 2 days to a week to do, depending. just so you know.

Related Content You Might Like: