• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Looking for advice and suggestions for shocks for my 4Runner

Mtb Man

I have a 99 4Runner SR5 4x4 with appox. 171K miles. The shocks need replaced. I'm thinking about going with Bilsteins. My shop says I need front struts and rear shocks. I went to Tire Rack and they have the Bilsteins for about $80 bucks each. My questions are: Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about the Bilseins? And, does anybody have any other suggestions on any other shock?

By the way, my 4Runner is set up stock.

Thanks,

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Bilsteins are possibly the best shock you could buy for that truck, $80 is a decent price for those shocks you might find them cheaper hunting around but whats your time worth, and I suspect where you'll find them cheaper will be on-line and then ya gotta add for shipping.
The r/r shock replacement is straight forward no real trick to it, the front struts can be a pain and do require specialty tools (strut compressor).

john505

yea that sounds like a decent price at $80 bucks. I went with the rancho shocks on my 1997 toyota T-100 SR5 pickup and let me tell you i don't see or feel any differance at all from the factory installed shocks. Also a little high on price. Go with your gut feeling on this one, if you like the price then get them. Bilsteins have a good history behind them.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Rancho's are good shocks, if the vehicle is used for off-roading alot, their stiffer and slow the rebound better for repeated hits, but if your on road the Bilsteins win hands down.
I have Ranchos on my rock crawler and my Tacoma, my Jeep Wrangler which has a much shorter wheel base then those two rode horrible with Ranchos and Bilsteins so it ended up with Monroe Magnums.
Many people will stick with one brand shock for all their vehicles, I've found the different shock manufactures vary as much as the vehicles they go on.

Related Content You Might Like: