• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Looking For A Boat

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
You know my recommendation, for your situation a deck boat with a canopy, handles good, has good freeboard, tall sides to keep the kiddo's in, and room for people to move around.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
At some point they quit using wood below the gunnels on glass boats. That's what little I know. Had one years ago with a punky transom. I have 17' aluminum but old and too small for your use and I don't have the luxury of launching at traditional boat launches which is the only reason I have a 4x4. As well when a glass boat becomes unusable what to do,,my friend had to cut his up with sawzall and bring it piece by piece to work to dispose of it.
The keels get ground off easily if pulling up on beaches, keep it off shore.
That's a great selection you posted. Used ones are cheap enough up here for some of the reasons i mentioned. Mostly they are dock friendly.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Seems like half of the boats need too much work. Among the boats that need less work or no work to be Lake ready half of those are so dramatically overpriced what they're asking that it's laughable, and the half that are reasonably priced seemed to sell within days, if not hours.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Wait for winter, prices drop when sellers are faced with storing and winterizing, especially if they have to pay for those services.
Jazz theres a lot of new products on the market, there's a few companies making Tephlon keel guards that stick on with 3m or bolt on.
Most, but not all, newer aluminum and fiberglass boats have composite in the seats, decks, stringers, transom, and main rib, but you still have to do research because there are some still using wood. Even if it's treated wood I've seen it rot. Lots of aluminium boats have aluminium wrapped wood under seats and in the transom.
When I purchased my 2003 Glastron in 2003 it was because at the time they were one of a few using composite in the full construction. Here we are 14 yrs later and I have no issues with rot, I know of some boats 10 years newer than mine that are already showing rot.
Another issue is fiberglass rot or softening, again mine is composit so it doesn't suffer from soft spots or delamination.
Boats are a lot of work, to maintain a boat correctly you should plan at least a 1/2 hour of cleaning and maintenance for every hour on the water. If not within a few seasons you'll have an expensive trashed hole in the water

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Yes tbplus10 I recall there is also a stainless steel keel saver available. I have been looking myself but since I have a low hour honda 4 stroke I'm keeping eye out for something newer and not as beat up as mine, preferably with blown engine. My boat has a twisted hull, it suits my purpose for fishing. I went shopping for new boat, came home with a bigger auto bilge pump for my boat.
IMG_2653.JPG

Toyotafan will have some homework but with internet he can quickly determine the construction of boat. Around here since we have a long hard water season boat prices drop seasonly. I think he should buy brand new, its only money, can't take it with you:)

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I'm not a fan of the stainless keel saver as I've seen a few of them warp and pull away from the hull.
How did you manage to twist the hull? Thats something normally done to high powered off shore boats.
New would be the best choice because your not starting with someone else hidden problems.
Here in Texas we have a long warm season, but by mid September most of the pleasure boaters are done for the year, all you see on the lakes is fishing boats. Ski and party boat prices begin falling when school starts, I've been able to continue boating until mid December some years with days in the low 80's, but boaters here are for the most part summer time boaters.
I grew up in Northern California, between the mild weather and easy lake access I never learned about winterizing a boat while living there. It was a new concept when I moved to another state.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I had 2 boats in my life. First was a 1542 Duracraft. This was given to me, but needed a lot of work. After about 15 years and a lot of work, I sold it for about what I had in it. Then I bought a 2004 Bumble Bee 17 foot bass boat with a 90 Merc . I keep it for 4 years. Bought it in 2007
and sold it in 2011. I paid $10,300 for it and sold it for $10,000. The thing is, the boat was only used about 4 months a year, and in those 4 months, I may have only went fishing maybe 6 or 8 times. If you live by the water, and a boat is something that you will use all of the time, then yes a boat is a must have, but in my case, the closest water is 45 mins away. When you throw kids in the mix, that's another reason to own a boat, but in my case, I wanted to get the money I had in the boat, back out of it while I could. Before I bought my bass boat, I looked at new boats. They want way to much money for a new boat. The person who buys a new boat takes the biggest hit. With in the first few years is when a boat loose the most value.
29.jpg
32.jpg
21.jpg
1.JPG
7.JPG
12.JPG
17.jpg

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
On the other hand its just a tub that gets around the waterways and a tube of seam sealer is just annual maintenance
IMG_1096.JPG

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I'm not sure hull is twisted, that was suggested as the boat tends to list to the left constantly. Has since I bought it 15 years ago. The boat had been on roller trailer a lot of years and that beat the hell out of hull.
I'll be painting the Toyota this fall, likely paint the boat as well and freshen it up. Also get rid of the carpet in boat. Dont like carpet at all. Vinyl floor is the way to go IMO
IMG_1092.JPG

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I think that's why the overwhelming majority of boats are right hand drive, it's because of the propeller spin so needs to have the counter balance weight on the right and then when the boat is fall it'll balance it out better anyway. That's at least why it's got that leftward pull.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I added these when I got the boat, made no difference. I understand some listing but mine is very pronounced,
IMG_1128.JPG

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Fuel tank placement?
I had a Tahiti flat bottom jet boat in the 80's that I bought as an unfinished project. Finish installing the engine, upholster/install seats, and some other minor issues. The p.o. had tore it down to the stringers to replace soft fiberglass and replace broken spars after to much wave hopping. I got with most work completed, including doors in.
From the first time I put in the water it sat crooked, I always figured it was trimmed wrong somehow but wasn't smart enough to figure out how.
Sold it to my brother in 91, soon after his add made him tear it apart to find out why. The fuel tank was designed to sit off center 3" to the left side to compensate for drivers weight. The P.O. during his rebuild had set it in wrong and had it sitting 3"off center to the right. Swapped around and she sat flat and tracked true.

geezer

So many good boats, looking for a 19-23 foot all purpose fishing / cruising / skiing boat.

boat for salein arlington, MA - 5miles: Buy and Sell
I might be interested in selling my Grady White Tournament 192 bow rider. Perfect uniboat,150 HP Yamaha Salt Water Series.
Very clean boat, got it this past spring and have taken it out 3 times, hull is kind of small for Buzzards Bay chop,would be perfect for smaller water
Saw your ad and thought I'd throw it out there
I'd be looking for around $10k
I just joined the forum and am looking forward to participating in the toyota enthusiast community.
IMG_3234.JPG
IMG_3235.JPG

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I might be interested in selling my Grady White Tournament 192 bow rider. Perfect uniboat,150 HP Yamaha Salt Water Series.
Very clean boat, got it this past spring and have taken it out 3 times, hull is kind of small for Buzzards Bay chop,would be perfect for smaller water
I just joined the forum and am looking forward to participating in the toyota enthusiast community.
View attachment 5769 View attachment 5770
Nice boat, welcome to the forum

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
fullsizeoutput_5bc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_598.jpeg
Painted my old scow a few weeks ago, now time for the ugly work of replacing floor. PO had done the floor with pressure treated plywood which I have now learned absorbs water:eek:
I will be using marine plywood as well removing all carpet and replacing with vinyl and clean up the wiring,,,what a dogs breakfast!
fullsizeoutput_4fa.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5ad.jpeg

Oh,,,this is interesting. Now I know why boat still dripping water after 2 months in garage. Factory foam is retaining water. Ordered a 2 part kit of closed cell foam to replace the funky old stuff

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
View attachment 5769 View attachment 5770
That's a great looking boat.

Related Content You Might Like: