• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

limited slip change over

john505

Can anyone tell me if its possible to change over a rear axle on a 97 T-100 SR5 4x4 to a limited slip. will it fit in the rear housing or do you need to change out the entire axle and diff. I get alot of rear wheel spin in bad weather with a regular rear axle. Like to hear your thoughts on this. Is it worth the money to change it. thanks

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Just a thought here but I'd probably go find me an axle out of a TRD equipped Tacoma and install that, the electronic locker is a two wire hook up and almost bullet proof.
I've seen the axles in wrecked trucks go for much less than the cost of an LSD and the install cost.
2nd gen Tacoma r/r axles fit in a T-100 slightly better than 1st gen.

suncomb1

I like to keep things simple so I have never used an electric or air operated locker. Go to your local Toyota dealer and purchase a TRD limited slip unit. They are clutch type units and they will last for years. I run gear type posi units myself that have been installed on my truck for almost 28 years. I off-road raced and dragged with them and they are still like new. I run Mobil 1 gear oil with B&G additive and change my differential fluids every 5 years.

john505

Yes a good read here, thanks- i have seen that push button electric rear lock switch but that may be somewhat involved for me. Im not good with wires. but the clutch type lockup is good idea but might not fit the rear housing. two both good idea's here.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to change over a rear axle on a 97 T-100 SR5 4x4 to a limited slip. will it fit in the rear housing or do you need to change out the entire axle and diff. I get alot of rear wheel spin in bad weather with a regular rear axle. Like to hear your thoughts on this. Is it worth the money to change it. thanks

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Hi I would like to know if you are the one who do the repair, For me it better if you take it to the service center so that they will be the one who will figure out and solve your problem, it is less hassle but service and repair would more expensive..

john505

Yes truckrider, for sure i agree with you on this one. may be alot less hassle, im handy but i think if i have someone do it, ill get a warrenty on parts and labor. Guy i work with big into trucks and dose alot of stuff to his truck, so im talking with him also. also depends on the cost.

Related Content You Might Like: