• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Leaky Injector 1989 22re (4x4 Pickup)

Marrdro

I recently bought a 89 with a 22RE in it. Ran great for a few days, then it wouldn't start.

Had fuel at the inlet side of the filter so I replace the filter. Still wouldn't start. Hit it with some starter fluid and it ran for a couple of seconds....

Results, bad fuel pump. Dropped the tank and replaced but now I have one injector leaking (spraying) gas.

I have a Haynes I bought for maintenance but it isn't real clear on replacement/fixing the leak problem.

I checked youtube and that was pretty bleak as well. Question(s) is(are), how far to I have to take it apart to get the injectors out, clean them, replace the "O Rings" to fix the leak? How much would it cost me (ball park) to get a Mech to fix it for me?

Above average "Backyard Mechanic" but I don't like to wrench to much.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I can't specifically answer your question - I personally have not replaced any injectors. I'm sure someone will chime in with some answers.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with the fuel rail in the 22RE engine. How hard is it to get to the fuel rail? It is not hard to pull a fuel rail, and replace the injectors, or clean the injectors, and replace the O rings. If you want a shop to do the job, just make a few phone calls, and they will give you a price. If you decide to do the job yourself, take a lot of before you start and as you go. That way, you can look back and see what goes where. I hope this helps a little.

Marrdro

Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with the fuel rail in the 22RE engine. How hard is it to get to the fuel rail? It is not hard to pull a fuel rail, and replace the injectors, or clean the injectors, and replace the O rings. If you want a shop to do the job, just make a few phone calls, and they will give you a price. If you decide to do the job yourself, take a lot of before you start and as you go. That way, you can look back and see what goes where. I hope this helps a little.
Appreciate the reply.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Wow I don't know what happened to all my post, but I wanted to tell you to take a lot of pictures before you start, and as you do the teardown, They are a big help when putting things back together.

Related Content You Might Like: