• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Last minute Christmas gift

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
So Thursday night around 1am I stopped to help out a fella broken down alongside the highway, he's driving a 1983 2wd Toyota pickup, since I have a soft spot for this model and know them well I figured I could give a hand getting him back on the road.
Turns out the truck was for sale and for the right price includes 2 part trucks, a pair of 4wd's, a 1980 and an 1982.
The parts trucks arent picked over yet and when parked a few years ago they ran, they belonged to a relative that passed on who owned all three trucks since new, they were used for a local landscaping buisness.
We struck a deal for the trucks sight unseen and Christmas eve I went over with my wife and car trailer to pick up my new projects.

So now I have 3 trucks that if plans go right I'll build into 1 (or 2 if theres enough useable parts).
I got my son-in-law to agree to work the project with me, the only thing he doesnt know is my purpose for building another truck.
Him and my daughter have wanted my 99 Tacoma for years, and since I bought a new Chevy Silverado a few weeks ago they've really been hinting about getting it, well they wont get that truck until I'm dead, my plan is to restore one of the 4wd trucks and give it to them.

If all goes well heres the plan:
The 1980 4wd has a perfect frame and cab so I'll use that as the base for the build. We'll strip it down to bare metal, do a little custom welding to strengthen known weak spots and add brackets for planned modifications, add new bushings, springs, and a few other parts.
The 82 has a perfect bed, flared 4wd front fenders, grill, and hood so we'll use them.
The 83 has a recently rebuilt 22R engine so I'll couple it to the 5spd and transfer case from the 82 after I rebuild them.
At this point I plan on retaining the original 80 r/r axle and rebuilding it, we'll leave it an open r/r since neither of them is an experienced 4 wheeler and we can modify it later if we have to. After a set of upgraded Birfields and a rebuild we'll use the front axle from the 82, again with an open diff.
As luck would have it I have the complete interior from my 1990 crawlerr in the garage, it was completely redone right before I bought the truck so the interior is like new and with slight modifications it'll work perfectly.
A quick garage paint job and I think we should be in buisness.
I plan on doing a few upgrades during the build, right now I have a stand alone electronic fuel injection system and a Weber dual carburator set-up, I'm not sure which one I'll use to replace the factory carb on the 22R, I also have a full stroker kit with cam and crank that I plan on installing in the 22R.
With the added HP I plan on adding a new heavier clutch package.
We'll convert from the old manual steering to a more modern power steering set-up.
And during the T-case rebuild I'll convert it to a twin stick set-up and swap out the factory low 4wd for an even lower aftermarket gear set.
I plan on using 30" tires and factory height springs, they can lift later if they want, this is a leaf spring suspension so lift kits are inexpensive and easy to add.
It's gonna be a few months late for Christmas but once I give it to them I dont think they'll care.
Should be a great project to teach the son-in-law about mechanics and in the process he'll learn everything that makes his new truck operate.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Got the engine pulled on both trucks this week and promptly decided to go a different direction.
A good friend of mine that was gonna freshen up the 22R is a top Toyota aftermarket engineer with experience working for Marlin Crawlers, LCE engineering, Downey Toyota, and few other aftermarket companies along with ties to Toyota motor Corp on an occaision or two.
While discussing tweaks for the 22R eng he questioned why I was using a 22R instead of a 2.7, I basically told him the project had a limited funding level and the engine choices I had to work with were the original 20R, and old 18R I have in the garage, and the 22R from one of the trucks in the trade that had recently been rebuilt.
He immediately offered up a low mileage 2.7 for trade, the engines been stroked, balanced, line bored, oversize journals and bearings, and a few other tweaks for performance with the added benefit of an OEM Toyota Turbocharger. He wants my 18R and 22R in trade along with a couple hundred $$, a great deal for me so the project is taking a slight turn.
Since the new engine has a much larger output than what I was planning I'll have to look at heavy duty clutch kits and possibly revamp my ideas on the transfer case and transmission rebuilds.
I may need to source out all new internals for these two, and it's probably gonna add to the workload because now I'll need to look at rebuilding the front and rear axle to ensure they dont have issues.
So add a little more to the budget and stretch out the project timeline but in the end it should be a nice little stock looking truck with good get-up in go.
Some panels have made their way to a bodyshop for painting, Early 80's Toyota Red and Cream, gonna go two tone.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
More completed on the project, all the panels except for the cab itself are now at the paint shop.
I found an Oem stripe kit I'm gonna use as a pattern and we'll be painting the stripes on. Should add some depth to the paint.
In the last few days the son in law and I tore apart both axles and found they were in perfect shape so we put in new seals on the axle ends and pinions, filled them back up with lube and started on the brakes.
We retained the factory hard brake lines since they had no issues but did replace all 4 corner rubber lines with PTFE lines, rebuilt the front calipers, replaced the rear actuators, and shoes/pads all the way around.
Most of the steering was gear was real worn so I swapped an old Diesel engine to the guys at PSC for new tie rods and other assorted parts including a new power steering pump.
Got the frame cleaned up and painted.
And took the factory wheels to the powder coaters for cleaning and powdercoating.
I've got new Bomb Proof motor mounts ordered and on the way along with new mounts for the trans and T case so we should be ready to drop them back in in a few weeks when I finsh rebuilding them, just waiting for the seal kit toarrive and we'll start on that.
Undecided if we'll take the cab off or paint it on the frame and just how much of the interior we'll have shot.
More later after I get some work done.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Not a lot more done, the project is almost in danger of stalling, to many other home projects getting in the way along with work.
One good note a friend of mine is trying to get his PowderCoating buisness off the ground so he made me a great deal on powder coating and every part we can get off and done is being powdercoated.
I even had the T case and transmission case powdercoated while I had them apart, along with a lot of suspension pieces and anything under the hood and inside the cab we could remove.
All the panels are finished at the paintshop with new striping, the cab itself still hasnt made it to the shop, we have some wiring issues were working on so it might hold us up some. I'm waiting for a modified Painless wiring harness to arrive and then we'll replace everything, to many bad wires on the factory harness.
The T case and Trans are back together and waiting installation, I'm still waiting for the motor mounts and it'd be best to put them in before putting the rest of the drivetrain in.
Found an OEM rubber kit at the local flea market, that was a surprise, and once we start assembling panels we'll put it al back together with the new rubber.
She's on 4 wheels and can roll around again at least and the drivetrain parts are ready for installation except for a few missing pieces that should show up this week.
I'm looking at trailering the frame/cab to the paint shop next week and get the paint portion out of the way then we'll be ready for assembly and completion, still a lot of work to do but closer.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Brought the cab and frame to the paint shop.
I had most of the frame painted already, the shop sprayed on a stripper I've never seen before, this stuff took off paint, corrosion, dirt, everything on the axles and frame. They taped off all the parts we had powder coated a few weeks ago so they didnt get messed up, and I had them tape the threads and nuts on every bolt they could find so I'd be able to get things apart if something ever happens.
Then they sprayed everything with something that looks like bed liner. The frame and cab are done and ready for pick-up, we'll bring it back to the shop after we reassemble it, it still needs a couple coats of clear and buffing.
All the Factory styled striping came out real good.
Before we took it to the paint shop I put the new wire harness in and hooked everything up, installed the engine, trans and T case and test drove it around the block.
Whe it comes back from the shop this weekend we should be ready to do final assembly.
Looks like this project is close to being wrapped up.

Last edited:

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Brought all the parts back together today and turned the son-in-law loose on assembly. He still doesnt know that the truck is for him but he asked If I wouldnt mind if him and his friend do the assembly since they both want to learn about auto mechanics, so I'm in the house and told them to give a yell if they need my help.
So far they've made pretty good progress and should have it about 80% complete by tomorrow night.
The assembly mostly consists of putting back on the major components and body parts since most of the running gear was already together. They might have some issues in the cab when they get to the HVAC system but if they need help all they gotta do is call.
They got practice last week getting the other two trucks together and inspected so I know they can do the job.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Project is complete, handed the keys over last night to my son-in-laws surprise. I have my garage back and now I can pull the Jeep out of the back yard and put it back in the garage next to the Harley.
The other trucks are waiting for their new owners to come by and pay me, I might actually break even on this one after selling them. But most important is I have no active projects at this time so I can take a break and relax for the next few weekends.

Related Content You Might Like: