• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Larger TB on Tundra

TrailLeadr

Has anyone tried opening their throttle body, or replacing it with a larger diameter unit to gain a little more power?
If so what were your results?

Truckin

Is there an aftermarket kit to do this I suppose? What good would opening the throttlebody do, allow more airflow?

5.7yotafan

100 Posts
What year tundra do you have? If its an 07 or newer, I don't think it will do much since you can't tune the computer, yet, unless you but unichip and have it custom tuned which will run well over a grand.

TruckBoy

You can gain more than 13 horsepower with a K&N Performance Air Intake for example. I did do so myself and you really can feel the increase.Also change your spark plugs to some with a higher heat range rating.

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
I believe this question stems from the old 5.0 Mustang. These cars were the forefront of modern fuel injected performance. Ford did a great job of creating a system that could 'learn' as the engine degraded over time. This 'learning' curve also allowed the vehicle to sense extra airflow from performance modifications which adds power when fuel was added into the extra air.

The stock 58mm throttle body on a 5.0 was undersized by the factory to create low end velocity which in turn gives the powerband low end torque. You could easily upgrade to a 65mm throttle body on a stock mustang and it would add a little hp without sacrificing much low end torque. The big gains to be had were when you upgraded the intake manifold, or even more if you upgraded the heads too.

After years of aftermarket support on the 5.0 most OEM's followed suit to what the aftermarket was doing and just built their cars pretty efficient from the get go. My 03 Tundra already has something like 80mm throttle body. To upgrade from there would be pointless unless I was to port the heads and intake substantially. With a 5300ish rev limiter there would be no airflow to require such a huge opening.

Related Content You Might Like: