• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

KEEP IT WILD GOOGLE+ HANGOUT | 2014 Toyota 4Runner Live Event!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
KEEP IT WILD ~ GOOGLE+ HANGOUT ~ January 23rd
We've been asked to take part in the really cool Google+ Hangout on January 23rd with Rutledge Wood and Andy Bell as they showcase the 2014 Toyota 4Runner LIVE (Keep It Wild Hangout).

It's called KEEP IT WILD, and it's going to feature Rutledge and Andy out in some remote part of California as they show us all of the features of the Toyota 4Runner that we want to know!

In order to do this, we have to have a list of questions to ask. That's where all of you members come in. Please ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 4RUNNER IN THIS THREAD. That can be any question that you would like to ask the guys about the new 4Runner or what you would like them to demonstrate.

Got it? We're going to come up with a top-10 list and narrow that down to about 2 or 3 solid questions in the next day or two.

Ready ... Set ... GO!

SharkRider

100 Posts
Does the standard model of the 2014 Toyota 4Runner come with a power liftgate?

What new features are standard with the 2014 Toyota 4Runner? Are there any new optional features available?

Last edited:

James

100 Posts
What are the biggest improvements that Toyota has made to the 4Runner for 2014?

Has Toyota done anything to improve fuel economy on the 2014 4Runner?

Last edited:

BamaKaren

TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Has Toyota done anything to improve the time it takes to warm up the Toyota 4Runner in the winter? I was riding with a friend in the Toyota 4Runner and it took 15 minutes for the vehicle to get warm. This seems like a major issue that needs to be addressed.

James

100 Posts
The 2013 Toyota 4Runner is difficult for children and people with less mobility to get in. Is the 2014 4Runner any easier for individuals to get into?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Like I said before this looks like a cool event. Not sure that I can watch it live (I assume that it's on in the middle of the day to get the best daylight?) but I'll be sure to watch it when it's ready to be replayed on YouTube.

First ... is 2014 a redesign of the 4runner or is it just a refresh? It's sort-of confusing trying to figure out if this is a new redesign or if it's just a refreshing of the old design? Basically, just what's new for 2014 and what's the same?

Body on Chassis Frame Still? It seems like the 4Runners that I've been seeing around the last few years were still the body on truck-frame type of vehicle, where virtually all other "suvs" went to the unibody construction. Is that the case still for the 2014?

Adding onto that, what's different about the 2014 4Runner vs. the previous years? If it's still a body on chassis ... then was the done on purpose because it's really the only true truck-type SUV on the market? Is that right?

What are the reasons that it was left as a body-on-chassis vs. going to unibody? I mean, I think I know the answer. With the frame you're going to get the size of a mid-sized SUV (albeit a BIG mid-sized SUV) with the ability to tow a lot more weight. Plus I assume that you're going to get a lot stiffer frame for doing more serious offroad driving?

Engine/Transmission options? What are the options for the engine/tranny for 2014 and how do they compare to the previous years?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Has Toyota done anything to improve the time it takes to warm up the Toyota 4Runner in the winter? I was riding with a friend in the Toyota 4Runner and it took 15 minutes for the vehicle to get warm. This seems like a major issue that needs to be addressed.
What do you mean is took 15 minutes to get warm? Are you talking about an old junker or something? Most all vehicles built in the last 20 years should heat up inside of about 5 minutes from what you start the vehicle, or course you could be talking about something like defrosting the windows ... plus there's the question of climate and geography that will play into the equation just as much as vehicle maintenance will as well.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
@MuddyTacoma, looking at the Toyota website it looks like this is all-new for 2014, so that would indicate that it's a redesign. I don't think they're allowed to say "all new" unless it's a ground-up redesign. ??

http://www.toyota.com/4runner/features.html#!/mechanical_performance/8642/8670/8648

I'm actually thinking about getting into a suv in the next year or two, hopefully I'll be hearing the pitter-patter of little feet and we're going to need an suv to handle the precious cargo. that being said, we want something that can serve dual purpose of being able to get around town, then get up into the mountains to go skiing, camping, etc.

Off-Road With a Trailer?
I'd love to see how well it handles light off-road trails while towing a small ultra-light trailer. Nothing too crazy, but maybe ask them to hook up a utility trailer or a small pop-up trailer and tow it to a mock campsite on a dirt road. Looks like it's rated for

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
here's another one. what's the scoop on the different packages? what benefits are offered in each of them vs. the other? SR5, Trail, Limited.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
I wasn't able to see a power liftgate option when looking online. I assume that's an option??? it's got to be.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
Also, what's the deal with entune? How does that even work? Is it just for iphone or is there an android phone option as well?

TM13TM

TTC Chicks
On the Entune Audio Plus package, can you input your phone books numbers directly into the system within the 4Runner touch panel, or do they have to be "transferred" from your iPhone or other cell phone that can be used with the system?

Also, if you have to use a cell phone for this purpose (transfer of info), what other cell phones are compatible with the Entune Audio Plus package? If only a few, then will they be adding more compatible phones in the near future to accommodate more users?

One other question on the Entune system - does this package require a subscription to use ALL the functions available? If so, which functions are available to those who use the non-subscription portion of the package?

PurpleRose

TTC Chicks
I have heard the Safety Connect is available on the Limited model but not the Trail or the SR5 model. Do you know if there is a reason for this?

It would seem this is such a great feature, that it would be available on all the models since it includes emergency and road side assistance along with stolen vehicle location.

In researching options, it seems that front and rear parking assist is only available in the Limited model and not the Trail or SR5 as well. Do you know if they will be adding this to the different 4Runner models?

Can these items be special ordered for the Trail and SR5 models through the Toyota dealer?

TruckJunkie

Thank you to Rutledge Wood and Andy Bell for offering the live demonstration!

I understand the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) is optional in the SR5 and the X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension is standard in the Limited 4Runner. I am also not sure which model you will be doing the demonstration with.

With the KDSS, I understand that a sensor will detect if one wheel drops while doing off road driving and the system automatically activates the KDSS. I know that Lexus has used this form of system in some of their models since 2004. If you have driven previous vehicles with the KDSS system, I am wondering if Toyota has made any improvements within the system as compared to when it was first introduced into the car industry.

Now, I am not as familiar with the X-REAS system and tried to find more information on this system. I understand that it is a simple hydraulic system which balances the hydraulic pressure within the shock system. Can you provide us with more info on this if the vehicle you are demonstrating has the system in place?

DIY2013

I am interested in seeing the under floor storage compartment which is supposed to be under the sliding rear cargo deck. I would like to know just how much room the storage compartment offers to the owner. Do you happen to know the dimensions on this?

Also, what other storage is offered? This can include compartments in the front for the driver and passenger as well as those who are riders in the other seats. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to ask questions!

BR789

Are you able to show us how the back up camera option works, and/or the wide-angle cameras that I think are options on there? And, I am also interested in knowing if you can get local weather alerts on the Entune Audio Plus system? Thank you ahead of time!

Last edited by a moderator:

lanebandit

How does the hill start assist control work? Is it an automatic thing within the 4Runners? And, I also would like to know about the downhill assist control? Appreciate it!

BeachBumGal

TTC Chicks
I am more interested in knowing about the comfort the new 4Runners provide. Do you feel like is spacious and comfy? Do you feel they could improve in this area? With the third seat in place, is there room for adults to sit comfortably in the second and third row?

SUVFan

Hello - I go camping a lot and have to tote a lot of gear. I have not been able to locate the limits on the roof top carrier or cargo carrier.

Do you know the dimensions and the limits on the roof top carrier? Do you know if all models come with this? It is hard to tell by looking at the Toyota site. Also, it is easy to use?

Huck Norris

How many accessory outlets are there? Like the ones you can plug your phone into or air pump into. And, are there any in the back of the vehicle.

Many of the new model cars require the key to be turned on to use them. Some models have one that is usable without the key on.

Do you know if the key has to be one for use? I find these options very useful during outings and it is not something that is typically found online.

Related Content You Might Like: