• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Just went nearly 10,000 feet up in Colorado

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
More pics of the drive. @PaleoMama have you been to any of the state parks? We selected a small campsite in an rv park near South Fork, Co. Not exactly a national park or a state park like we were looking for.

Attachments

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
More pics of the drive. @PaleoMama have you been to any of the state parks? We selected a small campsite in an rv park near South Fork, Co. Not exactly a national park or a state park like we were looking for.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Not sure why the duplicate posts. Yeah, we pulled the trailer, but the current tow vehicle is just not capable of decent mpg over 60 mph. Still was able to do at least 45 over these monster passes though in the thin air even. I'm really thinking of getting a used class c motorhome and then pulling a 4runner up behind to have some fun on these logging roads.

We drove up into Creede, CO today, went over 11,000 feet and saw sights I've never seen before, just astonishing.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Glad you're having a good time!

I haven't been yet, but we plan to!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
uploadfromtaptalk1439582124371.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1439582206708.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1439582295141.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1439582375028.jpg

We're staying in the rv park called riverbend resort, where they filmed the camping and cabin scenes from National Lampoon's Vacation from 1983, still have the bell. That's the same bell used by Chevy Chase in the film.

uploadfromtaptalk1439582461224.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The underground mining museum in Creede is very well done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I traveled that area with a truck and camper and Jeep on a trailer one summer in the mid 90's, not many vehicles travel fast or get decent mileage on some of those passes.
Its really not the bad mpg or slow climbs that I had problems with, some of those steep downgrades worried me, even without the Jeep/trailor.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So came home going south into santa fe, no major passes to cross so even though it's 80 miles further back to dfw, it's maybe faster seeing that I don't have to slow to 40 on those monster passes.

We did a few jeep trails up there and only one really scared me, they were working on building a new reservoir off the northern forks of the rio Grande and they were digging down below us, the road got down to about 10 feet wide with about a 250 foot drop to a level, but below that was at least a thousand foot roll at maybe a 15 percent grade. Actually stopped on that one.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looks like my wife got high altitude sickness on our trip, it's called hypoxia and she first noticed that her face in her hand started to swell up a little bit, then she started getting a headache the next day, then she started to get really really really irritable, and then she started feeling nauseated she didn't want to eat and just wanted to lay down. By the morning that we left she was so nauseated she started throwing up, and she threw up non stop for about 6 hours, which was a miserable car ride for her.

We got down to elevation low enough in New Mexico just outside of Santa Fe and we stopped in Santa Rosa New Mexico at a medical clinic there and they checked her out.

We didn't put two and two together until she started feeling better today and honestly it probably was the high altitude sickness. I mean we were up over 8,000 feet the entire time within drives up to 11,000 feet up and down, and for a flatlander usually staying under 1000 feet in the dallas-fort Worth area that was just too much for her body to handle.

Related Content You Might Like: