• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Just Had My 1991 22re Rebuilt But Noisy

fleeter

One owner here but I just recently had a local machine shop rebuild my 22re after 25 years and 200,000 miles.
I'ts not using oil now and not idling rough any more do to that low compression on the back cylinder I had.
Although it bugs me that the engine is rather noisy overall. I took it back to the machine shop several times for antifreeze and exhaust leaks during the break-in period. They adjusted the valves also. After putting 10,000 miles on it, (still noisy) I hand another local mechanic check the valve clearance for me. They were a little off but he set the intakes at .008 and the exhaust at a bit tight .012. The Timing was at 10 degrees and he set in to 6 degreesTDC. He still didn't like the excess noise it has now. I might add this mechanic is Not a 22RE expert.
I've taken it to a few more experienced local mechanics that are familiar with these engines. Both said it might be a little more nosier then the norm but told me not to worry about it. These 22re are typically not quiet engines. (Quote) My son and I don't remember the engine being this noisy when it was new. What do you guy's think, am I making to big of deal on this issue? ( I forgot to mention I'm getting 20 MPG average again)

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
When will you be performing the first oil change after rebuild? Sometimes that will quiet the engine down a bit.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Something I discovered years ago is that after a rebuild the 22r engine is always a little noisier.
I always attributed this to the tight tolerances they strictly adhere to at the factory.
While I was stationed in Japan I got to take a tour of Toyotas engine plant in Kyoto, I asked about rebuilt engines, mostly because in Japan they don't rebuild, at 30,000 +/- miles engines are replaced, the "low mileage" take outs are sold in the USA and replaced with new factory engines.
Most owners choose just to replace the whole vehicle vs a new engine, which is why older vehicles are hard to find in Japan as they get crushed and melted vs resold.

fleeter

When will you be performing the first oil change after rebuild? Sometimes that will quiet the engine down a bit.
The conventional oil got changed at the 1st 500 and again at 5,000 and then at 10,000 switched to 3 quarts Mobil 1 synthetic and 1 qt. Lucas oil treatment. No difference in sound.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The conventional oil got changed at the 1st 500 and again at 5,000 and then at 10,000 switched to 3 quarts Mobil 1 synthetic and 1 qt. Lucas oil treatment. No difference in sound.
OK. I didn't realize you were past the 10k mark on rebuild. ;)

fleeter

The choices I have are to just keep driving it until major engine issues. Some day I may try to see how much I can sell it for because I've been looking at the 2016 Crew Cab 4x4 (Red) Tacoma's but they are still wanting $30,000 + for them and I'm not willing to pay that much for any motor vehicle right now. Keep on driving I guess!!!

fleeter

Have you adjusted your valves since the engine was installed?
Yes, two weeks ago I had the valves adjusted for the second time since the rebuild. I've now drove it 10,000 miles so far. Even the Service Manager at the local Toyota Shop said don't worry about it, He has rebuilt many of these 22re's and they all sound similar to my engine. tbplus10 said it all in his post above. It will be fine.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Which grade of synthetic are you using. Just curious as I'm considering switching. -35C this morning the truck starts but would start a whole lot easier with synthetic and I only have about 15k on my rebuilt.

fleeter

Which grade of synthetic are you using. Just curious as I'm considering switching. -35C this morning the truck starts but would start a whole lot easier with synthetic and I only have about 15k on my rebuilt.
5-20w Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Lucus Oil Treatment and a Oversized K&N filter.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
5-20w Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Lucus Oil Treatment and a Oversized K&N filter.
I would like to switch to synthetic but I only average 5000 miles a year and my temperature swings from -40F to 85F. I would like to run a year round synthetic other wise changing oil long before due. Wife's newer 2008 4 cylinder toyota recommends 0 20 synthetic year round but that is a totally different engine in my opinion.

fleeter

Well, it's been over a year and 20,000 miles and NO problems at all. This rebuilt 22re is a bit noisy but I believe what tbplus10 said about his experience with a rebuild.
(after a rebuild the 22r engine is always a little noisier.
I always attributed this to the tight tolerances they strictly adhere to at the factory.)

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I know my rebuilt 22RE is noisy. Valves are correctly adjusted but no where near the whisper quit 4 banger in the wife’s Camry

fleeter

Yea, My valves have been checked and or adjusted 3 times already and has the same noise factor. I have a Celica GT Liftback with supposedly 65,000 miles and that 20R (2.2) engine is very quiet. Although Not quit as quiet as the wife's 2015 Nissan Altima's 2.5 SV, That 4 bagger is a monster!!!

Related Content You Might Like: