• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Is it safe to run your Toyota through automatic car washes?

PurpleRose

TTC Chicks
I know this may sound crazy, but is it safe to run Toyotas through automatic car washes? I am wondering if it is better to hand wash them and what type of wash is safe to use on them?

TruckJunkie

Of course, it is always better to hand wash in my opinion. Paint jobs now days are much better on vehicles and if you go to the auto car wash, I would recommend the touchless ones that are available now days.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Hand wash. Lots of good products out there. Just be sure to do it when it's cooler outside, and not in direct, full sun, to avoid water spots.

TDave

100 Posts
I would recommend the touchless ones that are available now days.
I agree with this. If you have to use an automatic wash, go touchless. Not quite the same as a good hand washing, but it'll work during those sloppy winter months.

I've had my kids wash my rigs before, but you have to make sure you can handle some dings and scratches.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Most of the good places that I've been going lately do a hand pre-brush with a soft-bristle wet brush on the front and the rear before you ever drive into the car wash. Then it's all brushless, but it's not touchless as they have some of the heavy cloth hangers (I don't know what they are called, but they hang down and they're very heavy water soaked cloth strips) and they hand towel dry when you're done.

All that for $5 for the most basic wash and if you go on a busy day then all of the people in front of you have gotten the expensive washes and you can often get some of their chemicals on the cloth strips as you drive through so you don't have to buy them yourself, lol.

Plus they want to charge you an extra $5 for wheel and tire care. Pffff! Just get the Armor All Tire Shine for $5 per bottle and that will do maybe 16 tire shines, so you get 4x your money's worth with that product and you don't really have to do a whole lot.

TDave

100 Posts
There was a time during the late 90's I think when some manufacturers were trying new paints and clearcoats. The paint flaked off really easy for them, especially mitsubishi vehicles. I can't remember if Toyota was part of all that mess or not, but I distinctly remember that older Mitsubishi's all had bad paint problems, and it didn't have anything to do with washing them.

Related Content You Might Like: