• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Installed the new radiator in the '83

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Does this daily repair stuff ever end with these old trucks? I buy a new radiator cap last week, and Tuesday the radiator blows a gasket (actually popped a solder joint I suppose). Died anyway.

The one radiator shop that answered the phone said $50-150 depending on what's needed. Thanks. So I bought a new one from Amazon (Prime) for $127 with 2-3 day Prime shipping. Same exact radiator sold by Rock Auto and on eBay and other online places. Now I'll go to Auto Zone and pick up some hoses & coolant. Wonderful.

To answer my own question: NO, the tinkering/repairs never end.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, didn't know if you were asking a serious question ... anyhow you answered your own question.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
No it does not end, you just get occasional breaks. Like getting old, its always something.
I replaced my decrepit rad a few years ago while replacing engine and opted for the pricier model with brass tanks. Not a fan of the plastic ones as they seem to be prone to failure(cracking)

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
One of the things we're looking for in a new house is either a 3 car garage in which I can have a decent space to work ... or actually get a place with enough land and without a HOA so i can get a workshop in the backyard ... so I can get a project truck to work on. I'm actually thinking of something more like a rock crawler or even a buggy but I don't know yet. Have to get a place to do the work first.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I'm still considering a stand-alone workshop, as my 3-car garage is full. OTOH, I'm not positive I want an old(er) truck to tinker with forever, now that I've have some experience. Gee, it's just not the same as it was back when I was 20-30 years old. Fun, but more pain than I recall.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
What year is your pickup again? It's hard to keep track, put it in your signature to help a guy out who's had too many concussions.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Yes, dear. Done.

BTW- My "Tinker Toy" is a 1983 4x4 Dlx short bed pickup (the pale yellow one).

New radiator showed up yesterday. Looks identical to the old one, thank goodness. Now I need to get the '87 sold so I can focus on the '83--lots to do.

87Pickup

My repair requirement never ends. I have to knock on wood though, right now after a new motor and then a new alternator the 87 has been running without any issues - For non transport issues: I finally have heat, was always embarrassing to give someone a ride in the Canadian Winter and tell them: sorry I have no heat. Arizona Truck of course did not need heat in the desert. Also finally repaired the odometer and speedometer so I know how fast or slow I am going. There are a few more mysterious things to repair ... it all comes down to who owned the truck before you. I also own a 1979 Mercedes C123 - unkaputtbar - had it for 20 years - only 2 repairs ... new tires ... new muffler.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Did the install of the new radiator this morning. Took 2.5 hours. Also changed out 2 hoses/clamps and put in new coolant. Perfect fit, no problems, no leaks. The old radiator literally fell apart as I was removing it. The entire right side support just fell off. I think it was a rebuild of some sort, so no surprise.

Related Content You Might Like: