• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Improving Tundra gas mileage

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I've done a couple of things that may have contributed to getting 17-18 MPG on rural highways:
1) I removed the stock "splash shield" on the Tundra and replaced it with a TRD Pro aluminum skid plate. This skid plate really smooths the underside of the truck, improving aerodynamics. Not cheap, and I didn't buy it for aero improvements, but I got the benefit anyway.
2) Whenever possible, I run ethanol-free gasoline. Always more expensive than premium with ethanol, but the truck runs great with it. I'm sure you all know that your gas mileage decreases according to the percentage of ethanol added. 15% ethanol = 15% worse mileage. Yes, I'm NOT an ethanol fan!

Given that the Tundra has all the aerodynamics of a brick, there's actually not much we can actually do to these trucks to improve the aerodynamics, and that is probably the most important aspect of improving the gas mileage. Toyota needs to do that in the next generation. Yeah, right.

Related Content You Might Like: