• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

I want to beef up my 1990 toyota extended cab, help?

1BossYota

So right now I own an 1981 datsun pickup and its pushing 240k miles, also have a few issues with leaking and other stuff.

What I am saving up for is a 1990 toyota extended cab truck. I have looked around a bit but am kind of lost as far as what type of engine I should put in it.

Its going to be a SR5 4X4, but I want it to be fast though. I saw a youtube video where they had a 22rte with a turbo on it, but i am not educated in the area and dont want to just commit to something that is garbage.

1990 toyota extended cab sr5 4X4. Im looking for a balance between power, reliability, and fuel efficiency.

Please, any advice would be much appreciated.

NorcalCamper

All I can suggest is to stay away from the 3.0L V6. It's neither powerful or fuel efficient. Its also prone to head gasket failures. I'm currently rebuilding mine for that reason. Maybe drop in a chevy small block?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The head gasket issue with the 3.slo engine was covered under a recall, most of them were repaired or replaced years ago but if you check with the dealer once in a while they find one that still falls into the recall catagorie.
But new head gasket or not it still has power issues.
If I was looking at any 90's model Toyota trucks I wouldnt buy one with a V6 unless it was 97 and up with the 3.4ltr otherwise I'd stick with the 22re or 2.7.
The 22re is actually a very durable engine that takes a serious beating and theres a lot of aftermarket parts available to build it up, lots of the parts fit the 2.7 because it's essentially the same engine only bored out a little more.

heartbreak one

i have an '87 pickup with an R22 with a K&N intake, 3" body lift, 31"x10.5" tires, and a dana 30 axle not sure what type gears though but theyre larger than stock. Its a pooch and a half. what can i do to boost tourqe and or hp? ive considerd lookin at dropping a diesel in but idk what type to go with or if its even worth it. any advice would be greatly appreciated to get some fairly cheap power gains

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I'm running a Yanmar turbocharged 4Cyl Marine Diesel built to run Bio Diesel or fuel mix's, backed by a GM 2 spd powerglide trans, twin Dana 300C clocked and mated cases, a Ranger overdrive and Unimog 419 axles on my 90 Toyota. Over the last 12 years this trucks had many different drivetrains but ones the best so far.
The problem installing an engine like this is the adaptors to mate everything up are a little expensive, I've got just over $5200 in adaptors to make it all connect together and that was at discount prices through friends, luckily I was able to salvage the engine for free from a wrecked work barge and the axles very cheap from a burned Unimog otherwise this combo never wouldve come together.
Look at Advanced Adaptors and do an internet search for adaptor kits to install Diesels, this might help you with making a decision on which engine to install if you decide to go with a diesel, I highly recommend a Diesel engine for an off-road play truck. If it's gonna be your daily transportation I'd recommend looking at either building up your present 22r (LCE and Wildyoats both have a great variety of parts to increase the output of your present engine) or look into a Chevy 4.3 with a 700R4 trans, the marine 4.3 is a super simple swap if you get a carburated version because of their simplicity.
Also you'll need to figure out your gear ratio, I feel thats probably one of the biggest problems with your performance at this time. Keep in mind when that truck came from the dealer in 1987 it had 28" or 29" tires and only pushed 97hp, 31" tires dont sound like a lot but your engine is probably only making horsepower in the mid 80's range at best after all those years of use and abuse.
An easy way to guestimate your gear ratio is lift the rear tires off the ground, make sure the trans is in nuetral, make a chalk mark on the tire and a chalk mark on the driveshaft, rotate the tire 1 full revolution while counting how many times the driveshaft rotates, I'm guessing the driveshaft will go 3 3/4 of the way around, putting your ratio at 3.73 or something close to that, 4 1/4 around would be something like a 4.11 or 4.10.
Your desired gear ratio for your truck is gonna depend on how you want to use the truck, if you dont mind having to drive a little slower on the highway then numerically higher gears (like a 4.56) might work for you, but if you want speed then a 4.11 or 3.73 might be the best choice. Also keep in mind when choosing gears where are you going with this truck build, are larger tires in the future? That'll make a difference on what gears to choose.

heartbreak one

I found out I have 4.10 gears but my truck is missing part of the exhaust due to the previous owner. Sense its a carberated and its a 4cyl would that cause it to loose a lot of power? Cuz its straight piped under the cab

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea a chopped off exhaust would cause you to loose back pressure in the lower RPMs which in turn would affect cylinder scavenging and cause it to lose some of the torque at lower RPM's.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Put a decent muffler back on and look at swap meets for a good set of Mikuni Down draft carbs, they'll help gain about 5hp.
Power aint cheap so any horsepower enhancing mods are gonna cost.

Related Content You Might Like: